Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Rookie racing? >

Rookie racing?

Rookie racing?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would hope most guys at the track will help you. Some are just in their own world. Most were pretty nice when I first stopped by a track and I didn't have to worry about striking up a conversation.

Its good to stop by first and see what everyone else is running, ask questions, and decide from there.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am a rookie racer also. I have been at it just over 1 year. Here are some things I learned (some the hard way)

1. Have Fun
2. Don't try and go fast - You want to but you can't, yet.
3. Turn off Reverse - oops sorry turn marshal
4. Don't stop on the straight away - oops sorry everyone
5. If you car is wheels up - make it known call it out loud. Learn the turn names.
6. Have Fun
7. Ask questions
8. Experienced drivers will drive around you - just go wide on the turns
9. Have Fun - Did I say that already
10. Don't care about where you place in the race

One thing that helped me was to marshal or watch as many races as possible at first. I also would watch the drivers, how smooth they turn the wheel and how they watched their cars.

Just have fun
Old 11-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stultis
I am a rookie racer also. I have been at it just over 1 year. Here are some things I learned (some the hard way)

1. Have Fun
2. Don't try and go fast - You want to but you can't, yet.
3. Turn off Reverse - oops sorry turn marshal
4. Don't stop on the straight away - oops sorry everyone
5. If you car is wheels up - make it known call it out loud. the turn names.
6. Have Fun
7. Ask questions
8. Experienced drivers will drive around you - just go wide on the turns
9. Have Fun - Did I say that already
10. Don't care about where you place in the race

One thing that helped me was to marshal or watch as many races as possible at first. I also would watch the drivers, how smooth they turn the wheel and how they watched their cars.

Just have fun
Depending on your track, DO NOT do #5 unless it's practice with no marshals. If you did that at my local track during a race you'll piss off the marshals. They'll see your car.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fenton06
Depending on your track, DO NOT do #5 unless it's practice with no marshals. If you did that at my local track during a race you'll piss off the marshals. They'll see your car.
Like everything in life, it depends on how it's done. If I need to be marshalled and I see someone heading towards me, I'll call it out IF the RD hasn't. I won't scream at it but I will make the other driver aware of it.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rc racing is really all about taking your time to learn....
Old 11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey theo551, Very good advice from a lot of ppl here. main thing is Practice,Practice. We all remember when we First Started out. Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fenton06
When I get a car with a solid chassis(no batt.slots) I'm going to paint the words "Send HELP" on the bottom of it.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Suspended

that will last a few laps
Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Rc racing is really all about taking your time to learn....
Agreed Bert, gotta go slow before you can be fast...
Old 12-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by theo551
Thanks for all the tips. I haven't raced yet but possibly this sayurday. I will post my first experience racing here.
I was a rookie/novice/whatever this last year. (still am) My truck was a 22sct RTR. The novice class is quite big so I was so damn nervous! Didn't know what to expect. Had no clue of what I was doing. (still don't really) But I was so fortunate that the people at the track all helped me! Most know that the sport is reliant on us newbies! Most all knew I was new and give advise. (SOME BAD SOME GOOD)

Biggest thing,....don't worry about failing. Who cares if you win off the bat. It's about having fun and learning a little at the beginning.

Things to expect:

Expect to be at the track all day! (NOT A BAD THING)

Invest in a soldering iron, extra motor, extra ESC, Tires, Good Charger, Good lipos, and make sure you have good batteries for the controller! Excuse my language,....but shit will happen! hahaaaa

You don't need to upgrade to the best ESC, MOTOR, Most expensive everything to succeed! I was running stock everything with the 22 SCT RTR. Meaning 17.5 Motor dynamite. I loved starting out last or toward the back of the pack! You will find that most will go ballz to the wall 1st lap. 1st turn most everyone wrecks! So unless you are starting #1 sometimes starting #8 is better. Let em all wreck that 1st turn and just take your time driving around that wreck! Stray straight and on the track and you'll either win or come in the top 3 everytime! Thats my strategy anyway! haha

Everyone couldn't believe I was running with a 17.5 vs everyone elses mods. It didn't matter. So ironically taking my time in a race always seemed to pay off.

The hardest part was getting out the first time not knowing anything or anyone. It wzs very intimidating to me. But don't worry. There will be more people out at the track that will want to help than not! Ask questions! Look at the guys that are winning and befriend them! Talk to the owner of the track/shop. Just take it all in and have some fun.

Again,................I started this last year. Love it! Made a lot of friends! Learned a lot! And I can't wait to do it again this next year! You get through one year, you will find reasons to buy another one to race more than one class! LOL