Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Motor Temperatures

Can running a Motor undergeared cause it to get hot. I'm running a Team Br00d Monster in my Xray Evo2 and it hits maximum speed before the halfway point of the main straight hence why I think it is undergeared.

However after a five minute race the motor is hot and hence I don't want to go up a pinion as the motor is only two race meets old. The track is quite technical and small.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Motor Temperatures-track.jpg  
Old 10-27-2005, 06:52 PM
4ou
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im not an expert, but if it was mine, I would gear it a little higher so i was building speed instead of peaking halfway. I may be all wrong and just confuse you more, but i would think that would make it get hotter cause the motor is spinning its max for a longer period of time. I also wouldnt go to high where maybe it was lugging coming out of turns, that will make it hot too.
Just my 2 cents
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Thats what I though about the motor spinning at the max rpm would cause the most temperature. However everything I have read says that a smaller pinion causes a lower temperature.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

I also have the Australian Nationals coming up in one weeks time so I would like to get it sorted hopefully by then.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How hot is it? In fahrenheit, please...

I have run motors that hit 230 degrees, and they were fine, but I don't recommend it.

The hottest a motor should ever get is around 150 degrees, any hotter and you risk cooking the magnets, not to mention the brushes.

Check your motor for any binding, then check your car for the same.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by b3n
Thats what I though about the motor spinning at the max rpm would cause the most temperature. However everything I have read says that a smaller pinion causes a lower temperature.

With a lower gear, your motor esentially sees a "lighter load", meaning it has to work less hard.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

^^ True! The more revolutions the motor has to make in order to spin the driveshafts once, the easier it will be to spin the wheels. You can overheat your motor by undergearing it, but it depends on the track. Running low gearing on a track that's very long will require you to use full throttle more and essentially, "Over Revv" your motor, where as a properly tuned motor should top out around 3/4 into the longest straightaway. This ensures a good top end, but keeps the ratios within reason to move out around the infield in a hurry.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the help.
I know the motor doesn't bind but there is a binding point in the chassis. As the race goes on one of the screws holding the steering knuckle in comes loose and rubs on the inside of the wheel. I will fix this and see how the temperature is.

The track I'm running on can be seen in my first post, it runs in an anti-clockwise direction and I am maxing out at the furtherest corner to where the picture is taken. Therefore it is quite possible the motor is undergeared.

Last edited by b3n; 10-27-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Possibly. I would say go up a tooth on the pinion then run it again. I'll bet you mash your fellow racers on the corners but get decimated towards the end of the straights don't you? Just keep going up a tooth until you find a good mixture of speed and acceleration. As always, let us know how it works out!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

You got that right. The car is awesome through the tight section, but I get slaughtered once on the main straight. Hopefully I can get through 7 packs tomorrow and another 6 on Sunday Race day and sought the car out for the Nationals the weekend after.
Ben
Old 10-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Didn't get as many packs through as I wanted, and didn't try a full five minute 'race', but I have sorted the binding in the steering by replace the alloy steering knuckles with the original plastic ones. With racing tomorrow, I'll be able to check motor temp.

Ben
Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Well, th binding in the steering knuckles causes all the dramas. After putting the plastic knuckles back in, the kingpins stayed where they should have, and I was able to go up two pinion teeth and I'm now happy with the temp of the motor and the speed. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by b3n
Well, th binding in the steering knuckles causes all the dramas. After putting the plastic knuckles back in, the kingpins stayed where they should have, and I was able to go up two pinion teeth and I'm now happy with the temp of the motor and the speed. Thanks for all your help guys.

You're very welcome-I hate chasing down gremlins, and I'm sure everyone else does too, so I don't mind helping where I can. Good luck at the races.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Phatkat