Search

2WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 2WD Buggy

Hello RCTECH,

I am not new to RC, have a slash, merv and Axial Wraith. However looking to step into the race scene. I want to start out with a 2wd Buggy. Which one would be a good starter, something that isnt going to break the bank? we have a cly track where I am. Thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 05-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by justplainnuts
Hello RCTECH,

I am not new to RC, have a slash, merv and Axial Wraith. However looking to step into the race scene. I want to start out with a 2wd Buggy. Which one would be a good starter, something that isnt going to break the bank? we have a cly track where I am. Thanks for the help.

Chris
My vote is for anything in the RC10 platform. I would suggest a B5 or B5M kit and just get some cheap electronics to start out. But associated does have a B4.2 RTR available for a pretty affordable price.

I have a B5M Lite kit and I have put that thing through a lot. Tons of collisions with other buggies and a few 15FT jumps while doing some bashing sessions. The Lexan wings will crack pretty easy, but they protect the rest of the car and are cheap to replace.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by justplainnuts
Hello RCTECH,

Chris
Visit the track, ask around to see what they are running and take it from there.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll second the B5M Lite. Been driving the short course trucks and the buggy is a very fun change of pace.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I could just push serpent haha because its what i have found (after serious trying and tuning and alot of hours of tweaking) to be what suits my driving style, but honestly they are only good for advanced drivers, so i also second thenmotion for the b5, as it is an easy OTB kit to drive, but there are others like ,losi,durango,team C, that have a reliable buggy for minimal costs...but i think its a matter of trying what you like at a local track if you can find somepplwith diversity and see if they will let you try it and feel what you think you like between the cars, because buggy is a very finese and precise class and it takes some getting used to. Good luck and happy hunting
Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I love 2wd buggy and it is a good starting point for any racer , as that is said Rb5 isa good buggy and is cheap to find .http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...c-edition.html
Old 05-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

b5m for sure , great out of the box for beginners
Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Visit the track, ask around to see what they are running and take it from there.
This should ALWAYS be the answer. Having parts and setup support is huge so go to the track to see what's supported.

Probably AE dominated but Losi support could be good too.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for all the advice, settled on a B5m roller...going to track soon and start hanging out on race day.....
Old 06-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with visiting the track you plan on racing at. You want to get a kit that is popular at your track. That way you can get help when needed. You also need to think about parts availability. You want to get a kit that you can get parts for. As for a specific recommendation, I would suggest a B5m or B5.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Initiate

is there a huge difference in handling with the b5m having a mid motor? I would think all the weight being between the wheels would improve handling and jumping
Old 06-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fred 76
is there a huge difference in handling with the b5m having a mid motor? I would think all the weight being between the wheels would improve handling and jumping
I ran a b5 all winter on carpet and could not keep the front end down even with slipper squealing for the first 5 ft. I finally gave up and bought the mm conversion kit. Haven't had a chance to run the b5m
Old 07-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fred 76
The mid motors handles quite a bit differently. It tends to oversteer less, but when it does oversteer it will want to spin out much more easily. Usually you want to keep a bit of extra throttle in the corners with the mid motor as it help keep the weight shifted to the rear end of the car. This usually makes it a tad faster in the corners than the rear motor, but it takes time to learn the correct amount of throttle without spinning out. It is much more sensitive to suspension changes as well.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Just came across this thread hate to revive things but: We have an oval track that will be racing Vintage Mod and Street stock class, they require a 13.5t REAR motor configuration. So be sure mid motor won't restrict what class you run... now I'm trying to decide between a used B4.1, B4.2 or get a new B5 rear motor kit...dunno if there is a ton of differences between them.