Wiki Posts
Search

Which class to race

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Which class to race

Don't know if this is the place to ask this but here goes.

I just started racing and am currently running 2wd buggy and 4wd short course. I'll be selling my current SC truck and am unsure which class I want to run in addition to 2wd buggy.

I could get another short course but am thinking it might be easier to run 4wd buggy or stadium truck instead as the handling might be more like the buggy. As it is now the buggy and sc truck handle so differently that it's like learning to drive two totally different styles.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 04-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The stadium truck will drive much closer to your 2w buggy; in fact, it'll be the closest thing to a 2w buggy that is not a 2w buggy. The 4w buggy will still be a totally different driving style. As well, a well-driven 4w buggy is a maintenance hog, for someone newer, the parts breakage, regardless of which brand one you might wind up with will be very frustrating to say the least. New racers need track time not wrenching time - I'd recommend getting the st.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input.
I haven't raced in about 15-20 years, not a newbie but feel like one getting back into it now.

Do you think the 2nd class makes a big difference? I know that 4wd buggy has a bigger turnout than stadium at the local track however the last few races there's been enough stadium trucks to run the class
Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd say help grow ST if that is what you like. There hasn't been a ST class at my local track that I know of but that is my next purchase because I believe it is coming.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
Thanks for the input.
I haven't raced in about 15-20 years, not a newbie but feel like one getting back into it now.

Do you think the 2nd class makes a big difference? I know that 4wd buggy has a bigger turnout than stadium at the local track however the last few races there's been enough stadium trucks to run the class
Adding a 2nd class to your raceday is definitely worth it in terms of accelerating skill building/re-building imo. I used to even run three classes sometimes but there aren't three classes worth running that are still active by me anymore.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i like to run two classes - three seems stressful. i had the same choice - 2wd buggy and what else? our track had a huge upswing in 4wd so it was an easy choice. yes it is a different style but it is the exact same line as a 2wd, just faster! going back and forth is a great skill to have and running 2 classes is more fun! We have some that go from 2wd to e-scale and back, which is amazing! Run stadium if there are enough for a heat each week!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Biggest turnout here is for 4wd sc. 2wd buggy is pretty good and so is 4wd buggy. Stadium can be hit and miss.

Running 2 classes is nice as you get more running time in over the day. Right now running buggy and sc are so different, maybe because of the setups I have in each but maybe another class like 4wd buggy will be similar and help me get better faster.

Considering trying 4wd buggy if I can decide on which to get; that's a whole other discussion....
Old 04-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If you know what you're doing when you wrench your car, then 2nd class is worth it. If you are somebody whose driving is not that good or whose knowledge for setup is not great, I'd stick with 1 car. GEtting to drive more on track is fun but learning curve will not be as fast as people might think. Baby your single car, try different setup, fine tune your driving skill and you can move on to 2nd car when you get consistent and decent lap times. I'm talking from my experience and it was fun but stressful and frustrating when my car acted up on track and when I broke parts.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
Adding a 2nd class to your raceday is definitely worth it in terms of accelerating skill building/re-building imo. I used to even run three classes sometimes but there aren't three classes worth running that are still active by me anymore.
Normally I agree with you Mark but I disagree with this one. For someone just starting to race, I think focusing on one class is way better than the additional run time.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
Biggest turnout here is for 4wd sc. 2wd buggy is pretty good and so is 4wd buggy. Stadium can be hit and miss.

Running 2 classes is nice as you get more running time in over the day. Right now running buggy and sc are so different, maybe because of the setups I have in each but maybe another class like 4wd buggy will be similar and help me get better faster.

Considering trying 4wd buggy if I can decide on which to get; that's a whole other discussion....
If the difference in driving style is a big deal to you, you may find that ST is a better option that 4wd buggy as driving a 4wd vehicle versus a 2wd in general I find that I drive a bit different.

Wheelers are fun though (1/10 4wd buggy I am assuming you are talking about), though if your place is others, its full on default mod. Not sure if you are okay with that as well.