Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Good beginner buggy? >

Good beginner buggy?

Good beginner buggy?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Good beginner buggy?

I'm new to the RC stuff, but a local track does have a division for beginner electric 1/10 scale buggies, but I have no clue as to a starting point. Of course, I don't want to break the bank starting out, but I would appreciate suggestions for a quality beginner buggy that I can grow with. I'm in Broken Arrow, OK.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are new to the hobby. I would go with any associated b4,B4.1,B4.2. I just picked up a used durango 210 great buggy! but it has alot of set up options...which can be overwhelming! The losi seems good after a few parts are upgraded. any of these can be found for under $200 in the for sale section of the forum or ebay.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Rhall

It was suggested to me that I check with my local racetrack to see what buggy has the most support. Locally for me that was the Associated brand. I ended up purchasing a B5M with some of the less expensive electronics (Justock spec motor and ESC), $100 transmitter, and a decent steering servo.

Wasn't "cheap" but so far super durable, lots of help from local racers on setup, and can definitely grow with it over time.

Had I spent less on a RTR I would have ended up spending more in the long run to get my RTR up to par with the basic kit, upgrading the servo, and radio.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jsapata
Rhall

It was suggested to me that I check with my local racetrack to see what buggy has the most support. Locally for me that was the Associated brand. I ended up purchasing a B5M with some of the less expensive electronics (Justock spec motor and ESC), $100 transmitter, and a decent steering servo.

Wasn't "cheap" but so far super durable, lots of help from local racers on setup, and can definitely grow with it over time.

Had I spent less on a RTR I would have ended up spending more in the long run to get my RTR up to par with the basic kit, upgrading the servo, and radio.
You made the right call here, getting a good quality kit with local support is critical. And you will be very happy with the Justock - this is a great stock setup at a very good price. Rhall should follow similar advise. An older Associated or Losi kit would also be acceptable as long as there is part support at the track. When starting out, you will certianly break things.

Enjoy.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Seems like losi and associated are the two major brands of buggies at my local track (norcal hobbies in san jose). Can't go wrong with either of those.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll say the same as everyone else...BUT....

There's a ton of info online as well, to help you set up other brands. It can be kind of a circle from what I have seen, because of "local support". In other words, a never ending circle of the same cars because of what's already at the track and local support.

With that being said....

I just went through the same process that you are now x 4 as my gf and step kids wanted in as well. I went with Serpent SRX RM's. Picked them because they have great performance, are super durable, and have great pricing when a used one comes up, as they aren't as popular. As long as you aren't at a super nerd rc cult track, most guys will be willing to help you regardless, and being your location I can promise you that many will be interested in a "different" buggy that they haven't seen much of.

Just 2 cents from another noob that's about 4 months into the process/learning experience!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always been a Tamiya guy despite me running other brands like AE, HPI, etc.

I recently bought a Neo Scorcher (the neo-pink one for kicks) and it was very easy to build and drive. Just tossing in my 2cents. GL I don't usually drive off-road buggies so mine is more of a shelf queen.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've always gone with Losi, but any car will work and can be tuned to run well.

My local track has a lot of Schumacher, Yokomo, and Hobby Pro. Though the shop does support Losi and Associated as well.