Wiki Posts
Search

motor springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default motor springs

I have a monster motor that I am running on carpet and I was wondering what springs I should replace the stock ones with when the springs I am running now wear out. A link would be great!
Thanks,
~Tyler~
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trinity hard brush springs are a good choice. The Horsepower stock comes with Trinity Red springs on the (+) pole, and Green springs on the (-) pole. I believe Trinity has replaced the Red Springs with Purple ones in their parts catalouge, but I am not sure.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Which springs came on it depends on which one you bought. If you got the tuned version, then Platinum is right. If you bought the "raw" version-which is what I do-then it has grayish-black springs, which are a little hard. A good place to start is with a heavier-relatively-on the negative, and a softer-relatively-on the positive. Reason for this is electron flow. In DC current, electrons reportedly flow from negative to positive. A heavier spring on the negative helps the conductivity, and the lighter one on the positive is just for a "pickup". Don't go to extreme with the springs, one graduation should be sufficient-like heavy on the negative, and medium-heavy on the positive. Your goal should be to relieve as much unnecessary pressure on the comm as possible, without losing power.

Application has a lot to do with it too. Heavier springs result in more torque, lighter result in more RPM. A mixture of the two will have varying results, depending on what you do. For a touring car, lighter is better. For a monster truck, heavier is better.

As always, experimenting is key.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

In certain cases the heaviest spring is not always best. There will come a point where more load on the comm will just increase comm and brush wear. This is the point where you are no longer increasing torque, just brush pressure. It takes a lot of pressure, but it is easy to overdo if your experimenting.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phatkat
Which springs came on it depends on which one you bought. If you got the tuned version, then Platinum is right. If you bought the "raw" version-which is what I do-then it has grayish-black springs, which are a little hard. A good place to start is with a heavier-relatively-on the negative, and a softer-relatively-on the positive. Reason for this is electron flow. In DC current, electrons reportedly flow from negative to positive. A heavier spring on the negative helps the conductivity, and the lighter one on the positive is just for a "pickup". Don't go to extreme with the springs, one graduation should be sufficient-like heavy on the negative, and medium-heavy on the positive. Your goal should be to relieve as much unnecessary pressure on the comm as possible, without losing power.

Application has a lot to do with it too. Heavier springs result in more torque, lighter result in more RPM. A mixture of the two will have varying results, depending on what you do. For a touring car, lighter is better. For a monster truck, heavier is better.

As always, experimenting is key.
that's funny i've had it wrong all these years
Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
that's funny i've had it wrong all these years