Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(kyosho) ready to run

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default (kyosho) ready to run

I just bought a kyosho (nitro) mp9 ready to run off road buggie . Its been years since I've owned an rc car and I've gotta say these cars have come along way . So my question is where should I start with upgrades when the time comes ?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I'm not sure it is worth it to upgrade the rtr. Kyosho upgrades are ridiculously expensive. You could probably buy a whole new kit for the price of upgrading the kyosho to tki spec. If you still want to upgrade I heard that the towers are quite weak.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I would have to agree with The Panda. I bought the MP9 RTR as my first RC car at the start of last year and it is now almost TKI3 spec, this is definitely NOT the most cost effective way to do it. If you like the MP9 sell the RTR and get the kit, if you want to keep the RTR heres my 5 cents,
Get proper tires, goes with out saying.
Replace the shock springs, the black ones that come with the RTR don't equate to anything else even though the manual uses the Light blue spring part no.
Replace the shock bladders, the RTR ones are cr@p,
Clean the grease out of the diffs and replace with proper diff oil, while you are there get an extra set of spider gears, the RTR only has one set in all the diffs.
Replace the front shock tower at a minimum. They are very thin and if you spend as much time upside down as I used to you will have to keep straightening them.
The outdrives wear quickly so you will have to replace them soonish.
Download the TKI3 manual and compare it to the RTR one, the differences are pretty obvious. You will find it challenging to get a consistent race set up with out replacing a number of the RTR parts.
Thats just my 5 cents, I love driving my car but if I had to do it all again I would just get the kit.
Like I said this is just my experience, the good news is I am still using my original chassis, this is the last thing I will need to upgrade.
I hope this has helped.