Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monster truck Brushless Upgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Monster truck Brushless Upgrade Advice

Hey, I just have a few questions on upgrading my new Ecx ruckus 4x4's motor and esc to a brushless set. On the Ecx website it recommends you upgrade to a Tazer motor and esc, and that's where I was heading in terms of model, but would you agree with that? This is my first upgrade ever and so I dont want to get a motor or esc that's gonna be a pain to put in, and I want to spend less than $125 ish. This motor fits both requirements. I think.
My second question is concerning the Kv rating. The ruckus is a monster truck, so I want something that will take me wherever I want to go, but I also want to be able to go pretty fast, not like 60-70 at all, but I think if I could hit 35 with a nimd and like 40-50 with a lipo I'd be perfectly happy. I am thinking either 2800kv or 3300kv. I was leaning towards the 2800, but I'm less sure now. What would you suggest? Also the esc is rated at I believe 45A, but says it will handle 2s-3s lipos, is that right/enough?
One last thing. I actually have a question about a steering servo... The stock one is horrific, and I am leaning towards the traxxas 2075. Is that a wise choice?
On a budget, so don't recommend me any high $$ stuff, but tell me what you think for sure!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

castle creations sidewinder short course truck esc motor combo $120 or so just requires a little soldering and a new pinion that someone else should suggest and someone correct me but it should fit. as for the servo i run this in my 9lb truck http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5kg_16sec.html its in different warehouses
and trust me 50mph is too hard to control
Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How much does your truck weigh?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Hobbywing wp-sc8 for your esc. It's rated 120 amps, waterproof and capable of running 4s. Combine that with the programming card and it's all the esc you will ever need for $75. Motor, I would also go with a hobbywing 3000-3500kv. Higher kv for 2s and lower for 3s, maybe even 2800kv. That motor will be around $60 but you will have an awesome system.

A servo can help but it's also the servo saver that is a big part of the issue. Google t4/b4 servo saver mod, that will cost less than $20 and improve things significantly. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Brandon1977
How much does your truck weigh?
The truck weighs 6.45 lbs.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

go on amazon and look for neewer 550 brushless. get just the motor the esc,s arent super good then get the hobbywing esc someone else suggested. any of the neewer motors will be fine