Wiki Posts
Search

ESC/Motor Guide, Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default ESC/Motor Guide, Formula?

I've been around RC for many year but have only recently gotten back into electric stuff. What I'm wondering is, is there some sort of rule of thumb, formula or chart for knowing what ESC to run with what motor or what motor you can run with what ESC? This brushless stuff is tough to grasp. I don't want to buy some monster ESC if I don't really need it for the motor I'm running.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GearHd6
I've been around RC for many year but have only recently gotten back into electric stuff. What I'm wondering is, is there some sort of rule of thumb, formula or chart for knowing what ESC to run with what motor or what motor you can run with what ESC? This brushless stuff is tough to grasp. I don't want to buy some monster ESC if I don't really need it for the motor I'm running.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
Sadly, no. It really takes a little knowledge of most motors and escs on the market, as we at their specs, to know what can be run with what. It is certainly not black and white.

Though as a generalization...

Typically escs will fall into 3 categories

Ones for 1/10 2wd buggies/ trucks and 4wd buggies. These are typically 50-200 amps and come in smaller cases with optional fans. They typically have a turn limit as well, so a tekin rs has a 8.5 limit meaning motors faster than an 8.5 are too much for the esc to handle.
Ones for 1/10 4x4 sct. These are typically 80-250 amps and come in larger cases, often with built in fans.
Ones for 1/8 buggies/truggies/scts. These are typically the largest, and are usually 200+ amps. However, it is popular to use one in 4x4 sct.

Motors typically come in 540, 550 and 1/8 cans. There are exceptions, but these 3 are the standard. For 2wd buggies/trucks and 4wd buggies you use a 5402pole motor. In 4x4 sct you use a 540 or 550 4pole or a 550 2 pole, this isn't as popular now. In 1/8 can sizes there are buggy size cans and truggy size cans, truggy ones Being longer. On 4s kv is usually 1800-2200 kv.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for that info. What exactly is 2 pole, 4 pole etc? I see it and hear it a lot but what exactly does it all mean?

And do you gain anything by going with a bigger amperage ESC than the motor really requires?

Last edited by GearHd6; 11-25-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 143 (99%+)

2-pole motor =2 electromagnets(1 north and 1 south) ---More RPM
4-pole motor = 4 electromagnets ( 2 north and 2 south) --- More torque
Old 11-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Thanks for that info. What exactly is 2 pole, 3 pole etc? I see it and hear it a lot but what exactly does it all mean?

And do you gain anything by going with a bigger amperage ESC than the motor really requires?
The number of poles refers to the number of magnetic poles. In general, 4 pole motors have more torque than 2 pole motors, but that isn't always what you want. For example, you really shouldn't stick a 4-pole 540 motor into a 2WD buggy... if you value your drive train.

Most people run ESCs that are WAY too powerful for their motor. The only thing you gain is that an ESC that's overpowered will run cooler with a smaller motor. I would recommend that you don't buy more than you need unless you really just like spending money and having new toys (which is a large part of this hobby, honestly).
Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, guys, that info was very helpful. It answered most of the questions I had about upgrading my motor and ESC.
Have a Blessed Day,
joe1950
Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Excellent posts! Very informative!

So would you run a 4 pole motor in a 4wd buggy or is 2 pole good for that?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Excellent posts! Very informative!

So would you run a 4 pole motor in a 4wd buggy or is 2 pole good for that?
4WD buggy typically run 2-pole mod motors. So, think 10.5T and lower, many in the 6.5T range. At least around here. A 4-pole motor is intended for 4WD short course trucks, monster trucks, and 1/8th scale.

At least that's my conservative opinion