Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on semi-competitive setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice on semi-competitive setup

Hi!

I seek advice on what to choose for semi-competitive driving.
I'm interested in 1/8 buggy E category, something to have fun with my bro from time to time, and maybe some day - to be able to start in some local competitions (just not to be the last one because of inferior rig). Few years ago we got into nitro driving a bit, but there was way too much mess with it.
If that information matters, for the next 5 months or so we will race indoor, then on clay outdoor.
By far I've chosen following setup, and I'd greatly appreciate any feedback!

Kit: Team Associated RC8.2e Factory Team 4WD 1/8 Electric Buggy Kit
Motor + ECS: Tekin RX8 GEN2/Redline T8 GEN2 1/8th Scale Buggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (2050kV)
Tires: JConcepts Bar Codes 1/8th Buggy Tire w/Profiled Insert
Wheels: JConcepts Inverse 1/8th Buggy Wheels

Charger: Hyperion EOS 0606i Li/NiMH/A123 AC/DC Balancing Charger (6S/6A/50W)
Batteries:Reedy 4S Hard Case Li-Poly Battery Pack 55C (14.8V/4600mAh)
Pinion: Any recommendations on which too choose in the beginning? I see range of 13T to 21T and no idea what ratio do I actually need.

Some thoughts behind my decisions:
Kit: I heard a lot of nice opinions about it, parts are pretty easily accessible, and its cheaper than losi, mugen, or kyosho.
Motor+ECS: Similar to the above, I've read a bit about it and it and it has pretty nice opinions out there. Nevertheless, I have no idea what kV rating to choose, not sure how my tracks would look like and if I need more acc or topspeed, anyway 2050 as the middle looked promising.
Wheels+Tires: I have no idea what is the difference and if I would even feel it - especially that I don't plan on changing them too often.

Charger: I saw some reviews that really appreciated hyperion chargers, thats the only reason behind that decision.
Battery: Just random price/values evaluation, no experience tho.

As for servo and radio - I have some old one from few years ago so it should be fine.

I also have 3 specific questions:
1. Do I need anything else apart from kit, motor+ecs, wheels+tires, packs+charger, servo, radio(t+r), and maybe pinion?
2. Are there any spare parts that are worth ordering straight up, as they break pretty often? (I'm gonna order 2 copies of above for me and my bro so if there is high chance of breaking sth specific, the chance of any of us breaking it is pretty high^^)
3. Any conservation stuff I should consider buying? Any oils or so?

Thanks in advance on any hints!
Piotr
Old 11-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Tech Champion

Charger: Hyperions are good, but consider a bigger model than the 50 watt 606 for an electric 1/8 scale. The charge times with a 50W charger can be up to a couple hours on the 1/8 scale packs. Look for at least a 100W, if not 200W or so, or even more, charger. Modern lipos can be charged fairly quickly given the right charger.

Tires are all about the track(s) you run on. Ask around there. Bar Codes do work on many clay tracks though, so you're on the right path it seems. Usually in clay compound, be sure to ask about that too.

The 8.2E buggy, well this can be a can of worms. It's not a bad buggy, but many consider it behind just a touch compared to some of the newer offerings. There has been a lot of speculation about the assumed soon and perhaps overdue replacement. Perhaps take a look at the Losi 3.0, Tekno, Mugen, among a few others. There are several threads in the offroad forum within the first few pages on this exact choice that might be worth a look.

Welcome back and to the site.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

the AE kit is one you will want to skip over. It is years behind the other manufactures, and really isn't that great. Look into SMC batteries. Cheaper, and still good. As far as the charger, it is really too slow for 4s batteries, in that it just isn't powerful enough.

All the other choices are actually pretty good.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would vote for a Tekno or Xray, can't go wrong with either company.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Contrary to what everyone says the rc8.2e is still a very nice and robust kit.

For pinion on the 2050 look at 18 or 19 tooth.

In terms of spares front lower arms will wear or break. You can get excellent deals on packaged spare for the 8.2 on eBay from breaker shops.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default RC8.2 is very competitive...

Not sure why so many feel that the RC8 platform is not competitive. I have been running the RC8.2 in both Nitro and Electric form for the past 3 years indoor and out and I have never felt that it has held me back. I am able to win amains at the club level with it today. I think it is still a good choice.

Good Luck
Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Charger needs some more juice you will only be able to charge a 1c, it will take an hr you need atleast 20a charger
Old 11-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

If you charge fast, it will also discharge fast.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thebombster
Charger needs some more juice you will only be able to charge a 1c, it will take an hr you need atleast 20a charger
It's actually recommended that you charge at 1C unless you know what you're doing and have good batteries. I charge at 2C for racing and that is a lot of juice.

Also, most chargers don't have very high discharge rates. You can have a charger that can zap at 20 amps and it'll still only discharge at 2 amps.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I charge mine at 1c before i go to the track, then at 2c when im at the track, always balance charge and always put them in storage charge and never has a problem, I have the reedy shorty lipos