Wiki Posts
Search

First 1/5 Scale, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default First 1/5 Scale, Suggestions?

Hey guys, not new to rc, but very new to both 1/5 scale as well as gas or nitro. While I know this will be a gas build...I point that out because this is all new to me, no experience with nitro at all. I'm sticking to gas strictly because big lipos scare the crap out of me, I'm over it and on to something I can put out with an extinguisher.

I was initially looking at the DBXL for any number of reasons, but mainly drivability as it will never touch a track so a more off road geared vehicle makes sense. The 5b made my list too simply because 2wd always seems to be an easier starting point. Last is the exceed Hannibal, it's huge, looks fun...and it's cheap.

Any advice for someone in my situation? The big trucks seem fun, and endless gasoline at $3 a gallon sounds even better.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by lemonader83; 11-19-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did a bit of researching about at some 5th scale cars before I worked out I couldn't afford to buy one or have the space. I came up with the DBXL being a winner because of 4wd. It looked alot more fun to drive compared to the Baja at a similar price. Plus it looks alot better. I haven't read anything about the Exceed so I'm not sure what that's like. I'd go for the Losi.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

1/5th scale would be a lot of fun and I always fantasize abut having one but just the above poster said, I wouldn't be able to afford it. But I've always wanted a Losi 5ive.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...=LOSB0019BLKBD
Old 11-22-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The more I look at these...it might make more sense to start with an 1/8 scale nitro to see if I even like "naturally aspirated" power. Looks like I'll go grab something cheap off craigslist!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was kinda on the same boat as you are 6 months ago.
Finally decided to get a 1/8 scale nitro onroad to test the water.
The main reason I got back into RC with a onroad was because "that's what my local club running".
So far I am happy with my decision because it's so much more fun to pratice at club level instead of just bashing around by yourself.
And If you are into maintaining and fixing your rc, nitro acted somewhat like a real car and I am getting a kick out of it!
Hope this help.