Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to change a flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Initiate

How to change a flywheel?

I'm currently trying to swap out engine's. The new one has a small flywheel which will not work with my starter box. The old one has a larger flywheel which will work on the starter box. How do you change the flywheels?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Loosen the clutch nut and tap it off. Simple as that.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Alright, there are several different ways this could be done. Homer's way is only one. You may need to remove the e-clip that holds the clutch bell in place. Make sure when you do this that all of your little spacers, bearings and shims wind up in one place so that you have everything required to reassemble the clutch bell assembly correctly. You also have to determine what type of clutch you have. You gave little information on the engine, crank type, application and vehicle so I'm just guessing you have a 2 shoe clutch with a coil spring. This requires you to remove the clutch shoes carefully off of the pins that they are slid onto. This is not required, but it may make it easier to get the center nut off. Take a 5/16" nut driver and see if it fits over the hex in the center of the flywheel. If it does, turn it to remove the nut. If you can't get leverage on the flywheel try vice grips or a Duratrax flywheel wrench.

Some cranks are larger than others, Which is what I found while using an engine with a different shaft than the flywheel I wanted to use. I had to bore the hole in the flywheel to the right size, then reinstall the parts onto the new flywheel.