Wiki Posts
Search

KIDS PENDING DECISION

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default KIDS PENDING DECISION

Hi All
First time poster long time reader of the forum.
I've being reading everything take i could be opened in firefox regarding electric rc cars. I have a six(6) year old girl and a ten (10) boy who wants a monster truck to play in the back yard.
They have saved their pocket money the hole year to buy this toy.
My question is should i get a 1/16 such as the hsp model no.:94185T or a 1/10 such as the HSP-RC-Monster-Truck-94111-Electric-4WD-OFF-Road-Brontosaurus and is it worth spending the extra money and buying the 1/10 with burshless. just remember that the kids are saving their money for this so please don't tell me to buy an hpi or savage losi or one of those as my wife will filp out with me as i have alredy spend a few thousand or ntro rc's and she had enought.
Sorry for the long post hope you guy's and girls can help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

I would go with traxxas you can get parts for them everywhere..
Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I would go with traxxas you can get parts for them everywhere..
+1 - Parts availability would be something to consider. The cheaper "off-brand" RCs are difficult to keep running because the parts are of a lower quality, and only available through the manufacturer (if you're lucky). I'd also strongly consider getting a vehicle with a brushless motor, since it will offer trouble-free operation and extend run times over a comparable brushed motor.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Where are you located?

Edit: The reason I ask, is because I have a slash that has been converted to a buggy, and is virtually bulletproof. Pm me, and we can work out logistics.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default kids nding decisionpe

WonTonsChicken i'm down under in sydney. I'm aware that some of the members on the forum know my young brother as he use to race rc with his girls. Parts for the hsp dosn't seem to a problem here it's available in a few places . It will be the kids first rc car apart from the usual toys that are crap. They are really excited about the rc as as have been saving hard to get this toy.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would get a 1:10 scale, they tend to hold interest longer. The little 1:16 or 1:18 jobs are fast and sometimes durable. But they are never as stable or friendly to drive as a 1:10 because of the smaller footprint. They just do not provide the same level of control, especially when you take them off road.

Traxxas is always a good option, durable, good support, low cost. A great starter brand for sure.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Sent you a Pm.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I would seriously consider traxxas. The slash starts around 200$ and they're almost bulletproof. Plus you can find parts anywhere to repair or upgrade problem areas. Also, I'd avoid brushless, it's simply too fast for kids.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mr-hilux
Hi All
First time poster long time reader of the forum.
I've being reading everything take i could be opened in firefox regarding electric rc cars. I have a six(6) year old girl and a ten (10) boy who wants a monster truck to play in the back yard.
They have saved their pocket money the hole year to buy this toy.
My question is should i get a 1/16 such as the hsp model no.:94185T or a 1/10 such as the HSP-RC-Monster-Truck-94111-Electric-4WD-OFF-Road-Brontosaurus and is it worth spending the extra money and buying the 1/10 with burshless. just remember that the kids are saving their money for this so please don't tell me to buy an hpi or savage losi or one of those as my wife will filp out with me as i have alredy spend a few thousand or ntro rc's and she had enought.
Sorry for the long post hope you guy's and girls can help.

Thanks in advance.
Are you racing in Sydney with Nitro?

Im in Queensland, originally from North Ryde, with a new shell and some wrenching a second hand car you night get something durable without over committing to YET ANOTHER money pit. The smaller the scale the less durable it will be. A crawler would be the best solution for preventing breakage but I assume the 10 year old wants something fast and back yards are a heartbreak waiting to happen.

A 2WD Rear EP buggy with a 21.5 brushless geared down might come cheaper in the long run. Alternately visit Northern Beaches, Kellets or WalterRC and see what deal they can come up with including parts support. All are RACE shops and will offload RTR spec cars much more affordable than a toy store.

I know both NBH and Kellets are father / son hobby shops so your interest in supporting the kids and keeping the wife's shoe and handbag budget active will be considered.

I think it best to create the support relationship with a local hobby store as online will ping you in postage and going to the RC shop to fix it will be a positive outing. It's their pocket money so it's more valuable a currency than the Swiss franc. Get some good advice, from any of the three shops mentioned. I know Jay at Walters will provide awesome customer support as do the other two. Even though all three are Race oriented, I'm sure you'll be in good hands when you tell them it's for the kids and they saved their hard earned dollars for it.

Been there and done that with two sons, as long as they know DAD can fix it, there'll be less tears and more value.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks people for the advice.
I'll be going with a 1/10 truck set up.
Kids are really happy and excited about the cars. I've asking around different shops about Hsp and for the price it's seems pretty good value. They know how much the car cost and they have enough money to buy it.

Once again thank you people for the time and advice.