Wiki Posts
Search

Track day essentials

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Track day essentials

Just curious what everyone takes to the track with them.

My kit is pretty basic right now, I usually just pack up a few tools, towel, extra wheels and batteries.

Besides the obvious(car/radio/battery/etc), what do you bring with you? Do you bring the same gear for practice and racing? I'm super new and so far I've been getting by with just the basics, but I keep seeing people lug in huge cases of tools, equipment and accessories and can't help but wonder what everyone else takes with them.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

If you are running electric and multiple cars on any given club night, like I am, you often have multiple chargers, power supply, spare parts, cleaners, spare tires, etc. Mostly same gear for practice and racing, although may not bring all cars to either. Usually tune 2-3 for practice, and run 2.

Yep, I look like i am going on a 2 week vacation when I go to the track.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

It depends on how far you are driving to get to the track and what you want to get out of the day. When I go to the track, I want to be there a long time and get as much track time as possible. I have to drive 1 hr. 15 min. to get to the track. I bring everything. Tools, parts, set up station, tires, tire balancer, fluids, extension cord, easy-up, table, chairs, food, drink, money ect. I don't want to get there and 45 minutes in break something I can't fix. I want to be able to fix or tune anything and everything on the cars when I am at the track. I guess, even though I wasn't in boy scouts, I follow their motto and always be prepared. If I lived 15 minutes away, I would probably leave some stuff at home. The key is to be efficient at packing so you don't have a ton of boxes to carry in.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

At home I work out of my pit bag, that way when it's time to hit the track I know I have everything with me. Well, almost everything. At home I use a nice soldering station, while I keep a portable iron in my pit bag. But pretty much everything else comes with me. Spare electronics, all the spare parts for the particular car I'll be running (I use tackle boxes to organize them), shock oils, springs, setup tools, etc. If racing outside, I also bring a portable table, chair, canopy, extension cords, etc.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What I bring depends on where I'm going, but I tend bring a lot of stuff. Many of the essentials I keep in a flat bottom gym bag (small duffel). It's good for the liquids, because it's easy to keep the gym bag in the same basic position from point A to point B. It can carry a car on top between the handles as well.

Items I always have with me:
20A iCharger - I usually charge at 10-14 amps (2C). Fully charged in 10-15 minutes. Can run 3 classes on one charger, easy. Most new batteries are rated for much higher charge rates.
24A power supply
Tools - Hex drivers, nut drivers, needle nose pliers, a long pin or needle (very handy, I keep one in a cork from a wine bottle), turn-buckle wrench, knives, angle cutters, setup station, ride height gauges, droop blocks
Universal spares (screws, shims, sticky weights, etc.)
Liquids - greases, oils, shock oils, locktight, CA glue. (always kept the right way up)
Tape - Battery tape, 3M or parma double sided tape, electrical tape, thick foam tape, velcro tape.
Transmitter case - Holds M12 and charger for my LiFe transmitter battery
Pit mat rolled up with small towel in it and usually a microfibre cloth as well
Shop towels or good paper towels and some more microfibre cloths
Non chlorinated brake cleaner
Tire bands
Shock vacuum
Motors - everything between 4.5 and 21.5, some multiples with far too many of those being 17.5
The cars I intend to race and often the others as well, just for backup electronics, in case of emergency.

Outdoors
Folding table
Folding chair
Extension cord
A hat
I usually find a spot under a friend's tent

Offroad
Tires, tires & more tires
Brushes for cleaning tires and car
Spare parts for my offroad cars.
Did I mention tires?

Onroad
Traction compound(s)
Spare parts for my onroad cars.
Body shells
Tires

I often bring my soldering station and never need it, but there have been times when I left it at home and needed it. Someone else always seems to have one I can borrow, but best to not make assumptions and just bring mine. I keep my pit gear in various bags and boxes. Fairly easy to carry the essentials, even over rough terrain or up stairs and there's usually a box or two I can leave in the car if it's not too hot or cold out.

Last edited by locked; 07-01-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The above list is pretty complete and even larger than what I bring. For me it's all about having all the right tools for the job, though. I invested into EDS Tools and have never regretted the decision. Nothing worse than stripping a hex screw because you're using cheap tools.

One thing I didn't see mentioned above is a setup board. This is essential for onroad racing, but also good for offroad racing. As are proper camber, toe, droop and ride height gauges.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Everything that was said above is all correct. I should know, I was exactly in your shoes about two years ago. I didn't start stacking up on items until I wasn't finishing mains due lack of supplies to begin with. Imagine not finishing a main because no one had a wheel nut... Eventually I finally bought a hauler bag. So much better and more organized. There are other containers/bags that you can use. Once you have gain more experience, you will figure out your essentials according to your taste and requirements. You'll be able to differentiate between essential from the dead weight. Hopefully these replies have helped you.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I average 2 outings a month usually so........I also carry a small pad and paper. I always forget something, or break or loan out a part, so usually I jot it down to have it for next time.

Along with the other parts previously posted.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

A small fan cus I discovered it is hot as hell in the pits here.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

You guys seem to have all the essentials down, so here are a couple extra things that help. Put a couple pieces of chalk in your tool box, especially if you live in a humid or coastal region. It will prevent patina from developing on your tools and metal parts. Always have a reamer. That tool truly has a million uses and can speed up so many jobs. A bottle of Zap-a-gap (medium CA glue) and a fast 2 part epoxy, too. It doesn't take long to put a couple of newspapers in with your stuff- lay them out to keep your area manageable. A paper towel roll stuffed with paper towels takes up almost no space and holds quite a few of them as well as keeping them clean. The best pit bag is a large duffel bag with a top zipper. Mine came from the surplus store, it can hold my Maxx, my Savage (wheels and tires removed), radios and a tackle box of tools and parts for each. Keep bottles of shock oil, after-run, filter and brush oils etc in their own ziploc type bags so if the bottle leaks you don't have to go through that hassle. Oh, and you should bring a couple bottles of water. It's easy to get wrapped up in what you're doing and dehydrate at the track no matter the weather. And like J Milz said, always take a pad and pen to write down what you need so you aren't running all over the place any more than you have to. Oh, and watch your stuff. People at the track are generally an honest and fun-loving type, but why risk it?

Last edited by Evetts Models; 07-02-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 07-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

when I was racing and spending the day at the track:

Gallon of fuel
Fuel bottle(obviously)
2 glow ignitors fully charged
spare glow plugs
spare tires(if its a new track I would bring different types or buy what the local guys run from the hobby shop)
extra receiver battery fully charged
extra starter box battery full charged
charger for above
chair/table
tools(duh)
spare parts bin(consists of turnbuckles, front and rear arms, shock shafts or anything else that can possibly break)

Im sure im missing a few things but you get the idea

oh and sunscreen!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Evetts Models
It's easy to get wrapped up in what you're doing and dehydrate at the track no matter the weather. And like J Milz said, always take a pad and pen to write down what you need so you aren't running all over the place any more than you have to. Oh, and watch your stuff. People at the track are generally an honest and fun-loving type, but why risk it?
+1 all very good advice.

If you race indoors on a hot day, it can be just as hot as racing outdoors.

Pre-buying food can make things a bit cheaper too.