Wiki Posts
Search

Shaving weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shaving weight

I have an SCTE and 22. I recently went to a big event to race and when they check weight my car a severely FAT. The SCTE is overweight without a battery. I never really cared but I was seeing people adding weight just to be at minimum. I was wondering what parts do people remove to lower the weight?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It'll be nearly impossible to get an SCTE to min. weight. I had one - I had a grand into it in aftermarket parts and it was still half a pound over. However, it wasn't really an issue as the truck was very competitive and I still never ran my throttle at 100% anyway. Each 4wd SC has different strengths and weaknesses - the Tekno will be even heaver in general but the Durango will hit min. weight easily. However, in a crash, you probably don't want the Durango....

For the 22, the easiest thing is to start with a shorty pack. That'll shave 3-4 ounces right there. If you're running 17.5, you do want to be right on minimum so after that you'll be looking at Ti screws/rods/pins and it'll start to get expensive. If you're running mod., most of the added weight you see there on 2wd cars is to effect the cars' balance/handling as running the car right at min. isn't nearly as important.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If the car drives nicely does it matter if it is a little husky? That is one of the scte's strengths. It keeps most of the weight down low, even though it is a little heavy.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Shorty packs, proper wiring jobs (no miles of excess wire), lighter bodies (which will get destroyed easier too), perhaps smaller/lighter ESC, there is only so much you can do with offroad vehicles given the punishment they go through. If it handles well and is competitive, a little extra weight isn't a bad thing.

Now onroad... that's a different story
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You have a sliding scale from stable to responsive. You will trade one for the other until you find your own sweet spot.

Being heavier lends to stability which in an overpowered 4x4 SCT that is not a bad thing.