Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Best Transmitter?

I want to step up to a better transmitter for my traxxas revo and I want to stay conservative wiyh my wallet and at the same time get the best bang for my buck. Hope you can help.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Rookie

My favorite is the DX3. Inexpensive for a DSM

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=SPM2030
Old 08-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would recommend a Hitec SRX. I own one & love it, 10 model memory & many features. The price is also great for only $100.00 from tower. FM radio having no crystals is optional.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 08-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Best bang for your buck would be this radio: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...&pn=JRT3172-75

It's just as good as DSM b/c you can get on any channel just using a screwdriver. If you can, buy one without servos b/c they aren't strong enough for your Revo. Ebay has some great deals on those radios. They have every adjustment that you can possible need and it also has a built in laptimer so you can see if your getting faster or slower. The spectrum radio is an outdated version of the JR XS3. It is the JR Xr3i, but with DSM and a silver painted case
Old 08-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

If your looking for a good transmitter that really won't break the bank, check out the Futaba Magnum JR. They are really comfortable, and don't have confusing memories or screens to mess up. The DX3 is an older XR2 revamped, with a different color scheme and a Spektrum module. The screens are pretty good, but can sometimes get slightly cofusing. The older XR2 also cheqs through batteries pretty quick too. JR does make some very good looking (and feeling) stuff. The most important thing I look for in a transmitter is comfort. Next is the crispness of the inputs, and the response of the contols.

Believe it or not, I actualy prefer an older Magnum JR for electric racing. I have many transmitters, but for some reason, I am quite happy switching my crystals around for almost all of my 15 cars! It offers little tuning, but it feels great, lasts a long time, and is nearly indestructable. The battery location is wierd, but it keeps the heaviest part of the radio (the batteries) in tha palm of your hand, to make it easier to handle. I also dropped it about 6 or 7 times on concrete and picked it back up again. I did that to my XR2 and broke the screen shield off.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

With the Airtronics M11 out now, you can get a great deal on used M8s. I'd suggest one with back-lighting if you ever race indoors.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i have the spektrum dx3 pictured above. the post after that said that synthesized is just as good but thats not the case. DSM operates on 2.4 GHz, whereas everything else operates at 75 or 27 mhz. DSM is pretty much impossible to have glitches with, since almost everything that causes radio interference in racing operates at a much lower frequency, such as motor "noise" i highly reccommend the DX3. or, you can get spektrum for other excellent module style radios, like the airtronics m8 mentioned below.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjs3350
i have the spektrum dx3 pictured above. the post after that said that synthesized is just as good but thats not the case. DSM operates on 2.4 GHz, whereas everything else operates at 75 or 27 mhz. DSM is pretty much impossible to have glitches with, since almost everything that causes radio interference in racing operates at a much lower frequency, such as motor "noise" i highly reccommend the DX3. or, you can get spektrum for other excellent module style radios, like the airtronics m8 mentioned below.
I have already witnessed a dsm system glitch. No radio system will ever be full proof.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 08-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

this is true, nothing is perfect. it is, however much less susceptible to glitching than even the best FM systems. most glitches that occure in spektrum systems are caused by not having enough voltage going to the reciever, since it needs more power than other recievers. any chance that it was a 4 cell vehicle that u saw it glitch on? i haven't had any glitches yet, but i do know that everyone that runs 4 cell cars uses a reciever pack or a capacitor. everyone i know at least. but the good thing is, transmitter batteries last about twice as long. my junk AA's in mine have only lost .5v after 6 days of racing.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

I think the Airtronics MX-3 would be the best in terms of features and price.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCHA8**&P=ML

Sean