Begginer to RC, Which Brands to avoid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Begginer to RC, Which Brands to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Begginer to RC, Which Brands to avoid?

New to Nitro RC so Before I start buying a rc car. I just want to know what to buy/not buy.
Exceed i hear is terrible. How is Redcat,Hpi,MASTER VH-X5, Kyosho, Traxxas, etc.I Dont have much money to invest into a serious Nitro RC, since Im doing this for "school projects" and just playing around afterwards. Is the budget of around $150-$180 enough(from buying online)? Call me a cheapskate but I can't afford much on cars.
Pretty much read all the maintenance and needed for taking care of them. Just need now is a good, low priced car.

Last edited by ShutterRain; 04-19-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Redcat is just a tad better than exceed. Hpi is pretty good. I have no idea about master vh x5. The kyosho race kits are amazing, but their rtrs are just average. The problem is that kyosho parts can be a bit pricy, so take that into account. Traxxas is great for beginners, durable and cheap.

For just starting out I would get a brushless or brushed slash or rustler. 150-175 is on the low side. Look to spend 225-425 for something good.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Redcat is just a tad better than exceed. Hpi is pretty good. I have no idea about master vh x5. The kyosho race kits are amazing, but their rtrs are just average. The problem is that kyosho parts can be a bit pricy, so take that into account. Traxxas is great for beginners, durable and cheap.

For just starting out I would get a brushless or brushed slash or rustler. 150-175 is on the low side. Look to spend 225-425 for something good.
Thanks for Your advice, I will look into HPi, Sorry for the annoyance of my typing. I Meant I am new on Nitro RC, I have been used to "playing" around w/ those aero's, heli's and cars. It's just just before I start spending and failure reaches me; advice from experts like you is my best friend right now
Old 04-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome to the nitro world. I just want to say kyosho makes really good kits though their parts are a little pricey just like panda said. I say that because I personally have a kyosho inferno neo st rtr truggy which would be a great choice for a beginner. I would stay away from redcat as they aren't that good. Hpi makes good stuff too. Good companies include hpi, losi, ofna, kyosho, team durango,traxxas, mugen, serpent, team associated and many others.The thing is that if you want a good rc car you're gonna need to spend a little more than $150. Hope this helps.

Last edited by nitrokyosho; 04-19-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Good
Old 04-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nitrokyosho
Welcome to the nitro world. I just want to say kyosho makes really good kits though their parts are a little pricey just like panda said. I say that because I personally have a kyosho inferno neo st rtr truggy which would be a great choice for a beginner. I would stay away from redcat as they aren't that good. Hpi makes good stuff too. Good companies include hpi, losi, ofna, kyosho, team durango,traxxas, mugen, serpent, team associated and many others.The thing is that if you want a good rc car you're gonna need to spend a little more than $150. Hope this helps.
Thanks alot for the choices, I do realize my budget is outrageously low, though i'll see if i can spend more
Old 04-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ShutterRain
Thanks alot for the choices, I do realize my budget is outrageously low, though i'll see if i can spend more
Try and Find an Edam pullstart (or any other RS chassis with pullstart) with engine in the 2nd hand threads
Then find a old Spektrum DS2/3 with a receiver
Find a couple of SaVOX sevos (From a disgruntled user)
Then you just need a battery solution

Make it in budget? I dont think so, but you could wrangle an electric car and theres still a battery and charger costs.There's also the option of a 2nd hand Kyosho inferno GT car...

Good luck, I think the budget is thin, so unless there's a generous owner that wants to give away a good deed, you could easily $180 on a lesson anout a lemon.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by blis
Try and Find an Edam pullstart (or any other RS chassis with pullstart) with engine in the 2nd hand threads
Then find a old Spektrum DS2/3 with a receiver
Find a couple of SaVOX sevos (From a disgruntled user)
Then you just need a battery solution

Make it in budget? I dont think so, but you could wrangle an electric car and theres still a battery and charger costs.There's also the option of a 2nd hand Kyosho inferno GT car...

Good luck, I think the budget is thin, so unless there's a generous owner that wants to give away a good deed, you could easily $180 on a lesson anout a lemon.
I completely understand your standpoint, my budget is not much and since my time with the rc will be every so often so I think i will go ahead with electric, Thanks for your advice, appreciate it.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

If you are just wanting something to mess around with and don't mind a truck, look into the traxxas slash. You should be able to find a 2 wheel drive for next to nothing these days. I had one a few years ago and I really enjoyed playing around with it.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Tech Rookie

DO NOT BUY EXCEED OR REDCAT
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Start with Electric car. It's much more reliable and easy to maintain.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Basically check out Amain and Tower Hobbies. If they don't have a brand there, its crap.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Basically check out Amain and Tower Hobbies. If they don't have a brand there, its crap.
good advice. they don't carry some of the more "exotic" brands like radiosystemi or some yokomo.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

The ECX Revenge is a good buggy for the price. Quite tough and easy to get parts for.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 PM

I personally like Nitro but it does add up with the costs of the consumables.. But Nitro is also a challenge tuning is not the easiest thing to do correctly... I've spent more money on Nitro stuff then my father has spent on electric.. As he just buys battery's one time and that's it.. Electric is cheaper at first but it also adds up when u start getting into brushless and what not.. My father spent 400 bucks on his e Revo brushed edition and the ezpeak charger combined then spent another 80 or so on new battery's... Only to have to buy new batteries because he went brushless.. I know the 400 sounds in reasonable but I bought it directly off the Traxxas truck at Englishtown Nhra race.. I also got a super discount because I was working there and I got a damaged box so that brought the cost down.. Had I got it from a lhs I would have paid close to 550.. But u can deffienetlu get a Slash for cheap and them things will take a beating.. I have experience with every Traxxas model they make.. And there good... And easy to get parts for.. I also have dealt with hpi and they were good.. Or I'm running jq products and there awesome.. Do ur research and chose wisely.. Ask around and look at YouTube videos and see what's out there.. Best thing to do is get something u can easily get parts for.. That's the key imo
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

buy RTR starting out, it makes getting everything together so much easier, and you can grow from it, and not have to pull your hair out wondering if things will actually work together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.