Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need sticky on electronic explanation >

Need sticky on electronic explanation

Need sticky on electronic explanation

Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need sticky on electronic explanation

The one thing that I noticed about this forum is that there aren't a lot of stickys. I was really hoping that there would be someone who could make a thread with the more explanation of Batteries, ESC, and motor info. Like what differnt pulls on motors means, or other info on the electrelectrical side of parts. I searched around but it would be nice to have a sticky in the noob section with the info. Anyone comment, agree or have a thread link I may have missed?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i thought the same thing. if there was one with the explanation of motors, one for servo's, one for ESC's, one for batteries, it be great for us new guys.

rc car action mag had a good article about batteries and motors an issue or 2 ago.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

There are threads about this. They just always seems to get buried in the mound of other threads. Q quick search can usually bring them up. It you can find them in here, a google search for something like "brushless motor poles? rctech" can usually bring up more as the rctech search is word for word keyword search.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Ya I searched some but like you said they are buried. It just would be nice to not have search through hundereds of poorly titled threads. If I need to Google all my questions I prob would just eliminate the middleman (the forum). Just an observation I noticed since ive been on this forum.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlakeCary85
Ya I searched some but like you said they are buried. It just would be nice to not have search through hundereds of poorly titled threads. If I need to Google all my questions I prob would just eliminate the middleman (the forum). Just an observation I noticed since ive been on this forum.

I feel the same way.. I have been searching for a motor break down explanation , but all I have somewhat figured out is KV definition. The 13/6.5 turn, I still have no clue and cannot find it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent
I feel the same way.. I have been searching for a motor break down explanation , but all I have somewhat figured out is KV definition. The 13/6.5 turn, I still have no clue and cannot find it.
what do you want to know, I'm sure people would be wiling to help if you started a thread, and since you can't fine one it is totally justified.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ThePanda
what do you want to know, I'm sure people would be wiling to help if you started a thread, and since you can't fine one it is totally justified.

kv is # revolutions per volt free speed, pretty self explanatory.

# turns , no idea.

Sensored to non , difference and advantages.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent
kv is # revolutions per volt free speed, pretty self explanatory.

# turns , no idea.

Sensored to non , difference and advantages.
Yes, kv is rpm per volt in theroy under no load. There is no actual way to measure kv, so dont base motor choice off of it.

Turns refers to brushed motor and how many times the wire is wrapped around the armeture. It does also refer to brushless motors though in how many times the wire is wrqpped around the stator. Higher turn counts give mess speed but more torque and vise versa.

Sensored uses a hall sensor to "sense" where thr rotor is in its rotataion. Without it the esc is just sending phases to the motor, and that leads to cogging. Sensored is smoother in overall operation, but usually costs a bit more. Sensorless just doesnt have the sensor, so not as smooth. For that reason it is best for bashing and not racing.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Turns are most commonly used for sensored 540 size 1/10 scale motors. In general comparing otherwise similar motors lower turn motors produce more power, but need to be geared lower, smaller pinion. Lower turn motors require higher amp capability ESCs, generally 1/10 scale sensored ESCs will be rated for a minimum number of turns. Lower turn motors will tend to run hotter and drain the battery faster, need more care in gearing and limiting run time.

While it is frequently true that higher turn motors have a little more torque than lower turn motors, it is only at low RPMs. But since lower turn motors are generally geared lower, more gear reduction, lower turn motors produce more power, wheel torque, and acceleration at all speeds. And have faster top end speed, as they produce much higher RPMs.

This chart from Novak shows the general trends for these type of motors, as well as their larger 550 and smaller 380 sizes. Note the chart includes Kv and Watt ratings. Watts is power, which is more meaningful than either RPM or torque, power is the combination of those 2 values.

A 17.5 turn brushless is considered a stock motor for many racing classes, and a great place to start. And can be an exception to the temps I mentioned earlier, stock racers will frequently gear a 17.5 very high to get the most possible speed, then they will run hot too. A 10.5 is a good mild modified, nice motor to step up to with some experience when starting to run modified. The best 2wd off road buggy racers usually use a 7.5 to 8.5, 4wd in the 6.5 possibly 5.5 range. On road touring car modified will go to about 4.5 or so if I’m not mistaken.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Yes, kv is rpm per volt in theroy under no load. There is no actual way to measure kv, so dont base motor choice off of it.

Turns refers to brushed motor and how many times the wire is wrapped around the armeture. It does also refer to brushless motors though in how many times the wire is wrqpped around the stator. Higher turn counts give mess speed but more torque and vise versa.

Sensored uses a hall sensor to "sense" where thr rotor is in its rotataion. Without it the esc is just sending phases to the motor, and that leads to cogging. Sensored is smoother in overall operation, but usually costs a bit more. Sensorless just doesnt have the sensor, so not as smooth. For that reason it is best for bashing and not racing.
There are several devices available to measure Kv values of RC brushless motors. According to some they come reasonably close to manufacturers ratings, although I admit I haven't tried any myself.

Extreme BMC-01 Brushless Motor Checker

Hobby King K1 RPM-KV meter for BL motors

Suppo Model RPM/KV Meter
Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks!!

Good info from both of you..
Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. I have a pede 4x4 with the stock vxl setup but Iim tryng to find a motor/esc that will give me more power (torque and maybe speed) and also give me longer cooler run times. I know that a 3s battery will crank up the juice (broke several parts 53sec after I tried one). Anyone have a pede and wanna share there setup? I do backyard bashing 70% of the time dirt track 20% and parking lot 10%
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Castle sct system is excellent.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Now, What about Motor Timing?