Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Hey Everyone! Losi 8ight-t 2.0 question... >

Hey Everyone! Losi 8ight-t 2.0 question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey Everyone! Losi 8ight-t 2.0 question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Hey Everyone! Losi 8ight-t 2.0 question...

Hey everyone,
I am not completely new to the RC world, but I recently just bought a second car and am catching a second wind wanting to get back into it. My first car was a Ofna LX2 Nitro, swapped motor for the LRP .28 spec 3 and Extreme RC Mods Pipe (from Canada) and it's an absolute beast. But the other day I saw a brand new basically Losi 8ight-truggy 2.0 that I just had to get. It doesn't seem to have much wear and tear at all, and the motor has good compression - but that's the big question I want to know -

Does anyone have a Losi 8ight-T Truggy 2.0 or the equivalent in size/weight (you know what I mean) and have any recommendations for a good motor that is a real torquey motor and has a lot of power? I know this is the like universal question with all cars, but I want to go ahead and buy a new motor for it, and Wanted to see if anyone had any good luck or suggestions? I've seen some on the "Reds" engines and a lot of ppl seem to be using the "OS .21" engine..what are you guys thoughts?

One last question - Does anyone know of something that should be done to the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 right off the bat to cut down on the maintenance/durability of the truggy? Seems pretty solid to me..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have an O.S .28XZ in my Team Associated RC8T and it is a monster of an engine. O.S also make a .25XZ which has a lot of power, but better fuel economy. The LRP .28's are a good engine, but personally, if I couldn't get an O.S, I would go for a Novarossi engine.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

the 2.0 truggy is a great truck and very durable.

Items to check/maintenance-
- Check all the bearings (usually a duh item but can make a huge difference and its cheap!)
- Check the front and rear diff (mostly the rear) as over time it wears and can cause problems.
- Check the front and rear diff cases. Usually someone has been a but too zealous in trying to make sure everything is tight and stripped a screw hole out. Diff cases are cheap as well.

Past that they tend to develop some slop all around. A little is ok IMHO but too much can cause problems. Later down the road you can upgrade parts a little here and there to the 3.0t parts.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Initiate

+ 1 on the OS .28xz also alpha T850 .28 Is a bad dude also.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=mkiiina;13042170]the 2.0 truggy is a great truck and very durable.

Mkiiina and the rest of you, I really appreciate the advice that all of you have given me, and I have been leaning towards getting the OS in either .21 or .28 (Trying to decide if there are benefits or none) or either getting the Novarossi Bonito maybe is the name??? I'm not sure exactly what that Novarossi's name is but I want to say it was around 375 or over and everyone seemed to say that it was overall a bada$$ motor.

Has anyone had experience with "Reds" or either RB Mods Engines? My buddy just got a buggy with a brand new RB Mod by Rick Brake for a freaking steal he only paid 200 and got the buggy as well as servos and that custom motor and everything. If they are worth it and truly are superior, I think I might would get one.

I understand there is a difference with the 3.0 steering for the truggy maybe? It seemed someone changed something about the kingpin setup and the knuckle at the very end of the shaft..idk but yea I am trying to figure out what I should replace on my 2.0 to a 3.0 first.

Thanks again for the help fellas!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

LOVE my Bonito in my truggy. Crazy fast, power everywhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Tony Marks
LOVE my Bonito in my truggy. Crazy fast, power everywhere.
Yea I've heard a lot of good things about the bonito I'm actually considering that motor or either an OS. I have a LRP .28 on my ofna lx2 and love that engine just because it's practically bulletproof and holds a tune but I want to go for a nice motor for this truggy. I got to look up the bonito pricing.. :-/
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by csrozier
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good motor that is a real torquey motor and has a lot of power?
- Does anyone know of something that should be done to the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 right off the bat to cut down on the maintenance/durability of the truggy?
Yep and yep, you wanna hear it?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Yep and yep, you wanna hear it?
Hahaha yea if you don't mind!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

This is an awesome truck. I would suggest to start with alum rear bearing holders LOSA4454 for the diff, This will help the rear diff. Alum servo horns, alum servo saver LOSA4441, and the 3rd Gen tray TLR4401 is a must. Once you get comfortable driving the truck, The V2 shock tower LOSA1741, if you dont have it, And inclined Spindle and Carrier set 12 degree LOSA1728 . alum servo saver.

If you are going to race this truck, a .28 size engine is over kill. Very few people run these in truck.

Its harder to drive and cause access tire spin that just kills tires $$$, they also suck fuel. I have ran a OS 28, OS 25 and OS 21. The only OS that I would put in my truck now would be the Speed. the OS 28, 25 just to much fuel wasted and to much power. You lose time over shooting jumps and sliding in our our of corners. Pitting at 6-7 mins loses alot of time. With my current set up I can pit at 10 mins if Im not donkey flipping all over the track. The OS 21 (strictly in my opinion) did not last long in truck as I ran it on the leaner side to get the power I wanted. There are several engines that would work for ya. If you are new, I would see what people that the track has that could help you with tuning and such...

There are several engines out there that will power this truck - all .21s. I myself is currently running Novarossi engines. I run a Bonito with ceramics and awaiting the Virtus Off Road. You dont have to break the bank to get a decent engine.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea, I think im going to break down and just get a nova. The thing with tracks is there are no tracks within a hour drive so we race in parking lots like a walmart lot and offroad we just go to clay pits etc..but my friend has the nova .28+t I think? The one with 7 ports. He loves it but I keep hearing great stuff about the bonita.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by token
This is an awesome truck. I would suggest to start with alum rear bearing holders LOSA4454 for the diff, This will help the rear diff. Alum servo horns, alum servo saver LOSA4441, and the 3rd Gen tray TLR4401 is a must. Once you get comfortable driving the truck, The V2 shock tower LOSA1741, if you dont have it, And inclined Spindle and Carrier set 12 degree LOSA1728 . alum servo saver.

If you are going to race this truck, a .28 size engine is over kill. Very few people run these in truck.

Its harder to drive and cause access tire spin that just kills tires $$$, they also suck fuel. I have ran a OS 28, OS 25 and OS 21. The only OS that I would put in my truck now would be the Speed. the OS 28, 25 just to much fuel wasted and to much power. You lose time over shooting jumps and sliding in our our of corners. Pitting at 6-7 mins loses alot of time. With my current set up I can pit at 10 mins if Im not donkey flipping all over the track. The OS 21 (strictly in my opinion) did not last long in truck as I ran it on the leaner side to get the power I wanted. There are several engines that would work for ya. If you are new, I would see what people that the track has that could help you with tuning and such...

There are several engines out there that will power this truck - all .21s. I myself is currently running Novarossi engines. I run a Bonito with ceramics and awaiting the Virtus Off Road. You dont have to break the bank to get a decent engine.
...well I decided that the best thing to do at this point is to run the LRP 28 spec 3 till she dies in my 8ight.
BUT- Big things to come! I'm in the process of rebuilding a Kyosho Inferno GT2 Race Spec (my 1st RC car ever owned new that I sold to a friend bc I like 4x4, he took it brand new and destroyed it literally I had to take EVERYTHING off the chassis, clean, and put it back on). Today I found a Novarossi Plus 28-7T and saw I could get it overnighted and brand new for $200, so I figured just because the price I needed to get it. So I think I will put that on my Kyosho GT2 RS for drag racing my friends/locals here, and hopefully I'll be able to go ahead and get another Nova in a week or two. The 28-7T I have on the way has 7 ports and I'm just assuming that the more ports you can get, the better? Idk? Either way my TLR 8ight 2.0 motor plans are to get a Nova Bonito (HOPEFULLY) thats my dream engine, but I have to get something for the truggy if it's only a new carb bc mine is finished I need another. But hopefully that motor I have on the way is a good motor and ppl have had alot of success with it.