Wiki Posts
Search

battery and gear questions on 2wd stampede

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM
JWL
Tech Initiate

Default battery and gear questions on 2wd stampede

hello again, i'm an old dude just getting in to rc for the 1st time, hopping to learn some things here to help me and my boys get in to a cool hobby together, received my used 2wd stampede yesterday, it has some alum upgrades, bead lock rims, and a ez run brushless system, it came with traxxas 6 cell nimh 1500 mah no charger( got one on order) i plug up battery to check it out and it went 6 ft or so and started having like a slipping bringing noise, thot it was messed up took apart gearbox, didn't see nothing broke or really worn, battery was weak , this morning found an old rc wall charger, read where i could use it briefly w/out hurt battery so i did, charged for about 45 mins, let set a few and plug it up ran 4 or 5 mins, now wondering if weak battery made me think gears were bad, so any of y'all got advice for a noob?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If a 1500mah NiMh pack wasn't fully charged, it probably wouldn't have gone very far very fast.

However, if it continues, try tightening the slipper clutch. Your manual should explain that or if you don't have it, Traxxas is good about having those posted on their website.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:12 PM
JWL
Tech Initiate

Default ok, slipper clutch, no manual but will look up

Also MarkA, I've read and seen a lot of youtube, with different batteries set ups, you and panda, give me some advice 2 or 3 weeks ago bout what rc i may have wanted to check into, which i appreciate, (i may have purchase something i would have regretted as far as getting parts), i'm leaning towards 2S lipo's with mah between 3300 to 4000, now after my tranny experience lastnite i read info saying, that some folks who upgrade to brushless, mess there tranny up, is it common or is it a to much battery thing?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
JWL
Tech Initiate

Default ok, slipper clutch, no manual but will look up

Also MarkA, I've read and seen a lot of youtube, with different batteries set ups, you and panda, give me some advice 2 or 3 weeks ago bout what rc i may have wanted to check into, which i appreciate, (i may have purchase something i would have regretted as far as getting parts), i'm leaning towards 2S lipo's with mah between 3300 to 4000, now after my tranny experience lastnite i read info saying, that some folks who upgrade to brushless, mess there tranny up, is it common or is it a to much battery thing?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A brushless upgrade alone won't mess up your transmission. It's what people tend to do with the newfound power (full throttle launches on asphalt with the slipper locked, jumping it 30 feet through the air w/o lifting off the throttle, etc. etc.) that causes may people issues after upgrading. Alot of people also try to run Traxxas trucks on 3s instead of 2 which can aggravate/accelerate the issue.

Battery Mah has no effect on the cars' speed, only it's runtime. Unless you're looking at "shorty" packs, which you don't want for that truck, it would actually be hard to find anything under 45-4700 mah anyway. For your truck, I would look into a lipo like this.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have a Stampede 2wd XL5 as well for our youngest. When the battery is low and cannot produce enough power to turn the gears, it makes weird sounds.

Also, if you do decide to upgrade to Lipo batteries, make sure your on you ESC, under the power button, it says "Low Voltage Detection".
Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sdpnoy012
Also, if you do decide to upgrade to Lipo batteries, make sure your on you ESC, under the power button, it says "Low Voltage Detection".
Very Important! Discharging a LiPo battery too low is dangerous, like FIRE dangerous. Please read all safety guidlines when it comes to LiPo batteries.
I'm just a noob too but I seen a lipo pack go up in flames at the track last weekend, not pleasant.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

All this is good information but keep in mind that if the battery is old it may not have as much life in it. NiMH batteries tend to wear out much faster than lipos and also much more noticeably