Wiki Posts
Search

Safe operating temperatures?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
5iN
Tech Initiate

Default Safe operating temperatures?

I live in Arizona and it's consistantly 100°+F until 10:00PM then it slowly goes down. My question was, is it safe to drive my R/C car around when it's this hot out or should I wait until winter?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:29 PM
5iN
Tech Initiate

My car has a nitro burning car FYI.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5iN
I live in Arizona and it's consistantly 100°+F until 10:00PM then it slowly goes down. My question was, is it safe to drive my R/C car around when it's this hot out or should I wait until winter?
SInce it is a CAR that woudl suggest the .12-.18 range of nitro engines.
Try to not let you engine get above 220-230*F as that is when you will start to see damage and wear issues. I would suggest that you get a temp gauge...they should be anywhere from $25-35 and your LHS should have them.
Hope this helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 07-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Wow, in that heat I would be more worried about myself, forget my engine! Then again, they are expensive little machines, so I probably would make a vent in the roof of the body, devise a smart method of cooling through the windshield, with an intelligent vent in the rear window, and then put on a nice big chrome head! When I saw intelligent cooling, I am assuming that there is some actual thinking involved. My other hobby is computers, so when I overclock (think leaning out your engine beyond where it is safe, this is overclocking [raising the core clock of the processor to specifications outside of it's designated operating range ]) I need to have sufficient cooling or my computer would always crash. You need a good cooling scheme that flows air neatly and efficiently past your heatsinks, without criss-crossing the flow of air. Another thing I would do is stick with 15-20% nitro content, and run slightly on the rich side. Your mixture is also dependant on the humidity. A more humid climate will require a more rich mixture, and a less humid (more dry) area would require a leaner mixture. Hope this helps.

BTW: The chrome would look good just because of the reflection off of the sun!