Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
18+ years since I've raced, looking to get back into R/C... >

18+ years since I've raced, looking to get back into R/C...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

18+ years since I've raced, looking to get back into R/C...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? 18+ years since I've raced, looking to get back into R/C...

Hello,

Getting bored with my other toys and looking to get back into R/C. I've been out to a few hobby shops and one of the local tracks, still searching for others. Seems 1/10 scale isn't as popular around here anymore and 1/8 scale electric is what a lot of people race.

With that in mind, any input or websites with info would be great. I've been reading and researching for a couple weeks trying to get up to speed with all the latest changes and technology.

So far looking at:
TLR 8ight E 3.0
Airtronics MT4
Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/1900kv
HiTec 7955TG
iCharger 308 DUO

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Where do you get all the little stuff when the hobby shop doesn't stock it? Spur/Pinion gears, Shock oil, springs, parts, etc?

I see Amain, Stormer, Tower, etc. are still around. Any others I should be looking at or checking out?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

that would be a great setup. I use tower mainly, due to the super saver club coupons, but otherwise i use amain.

you will need tools as well, and batteries. for batteries i like SMC, and for tools, either HUDY, or MIP
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Got-R/C?
Hello,

Getting bored with my other toys and looking to get back into R/C. I've been out to a few hobby shops and one of the local tracks, still searching for others. Seems 1/10 scale isn't as popular around here anymore and 1/8 scale electric is what a lot of people race.

With that in mind, any input or websites with info would be great. I've been reading and researching for a couple weeks trying to get up to speed with all the latest changes and technology.

So far looking at:
TLR 8ight E 3.0
Airtronics MT4
Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/1900kv
HiTec 7955TG
iCharger 308 DUO

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Where do you get all the little stuff when the hobby shop doesn't stock it? Spur/Pinion gears, Shock oil, springs, parts, etc?

I see Amain, Stormer, Tower, etc. are still around. Any others I should be looking at or checking out?

Thanks,

Josh
+1 for the Tekin ESC
+1 for the MT-4, great radio for the price.

The 3 sites you listed are a good starting point for getting stuff online. Of course support your local hobby shop if you can.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you've settled on 1/8th scale E-buggy, I'd suggest you take a look at the Tekno EB-48. Tekno was not around 18 years ago, but it is a great company with superb customer service. Their buggies are fast and durable.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You also have hobbypartz and hobbyking (usa warehouse). They have cheap stuff. Welcome back and I know your feeling being gone so long. Last time I touched an R/C was in 93' at Mike's in Porter. I honestly don't even remember if that was the name back then. I think it was 59 raceway or something like that lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThePanda
that would be a great setup. I use tower mainly, due to the super saver club coupons, but otherwise i use amain.

you will need tools as well, and batteries. for batteries i like SMC, and for tools, either HUDY, or MIP
I've been looking at SMC, Turnigy Nano-tech, etc. and of course the name brands. Seems like the warranty is the main difference according to threads on here. I like Tower but they don't carry TLR stuff.

Originally Posted by EricW
+1 for the Tekin ESC
+1 for the MT-4, great radio for the price.

The 3 sites you listed are a good starting point for getting stuff online. Of course support your local hobby shop if you can.
I was hoping to but most of the local to me shops don't have the racing level stuff. Larry's Hobbies seems to have closed..

Originally Posted by RazzBarlow7
If you've settled on 1/8th scale E-buggy, I'd suggest you take a look at the Tekno EB-48. Tekno was not around 18 years ago, but it is a great company with superb customer service. Their buggies are fast and durable.
I'll give it a look but have always raced AE or TLR so was going to stick with one of those again.

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng
You also have hobbypartz and hobbyking (usa warehouse). They have cheap stuff. Welcome back and I know your feeling being gone so long. Last time I touched an R/C was in 93' at Mike's in Porter. I honestly don't even remember if that was the name back then. I think it was 59 raceway or something like that lol.
Thanks for the websites, I'll have a look. I remember Mike's in Porter, he was one of a few owners between Heinz, M&M, etc. '93 was when I raced so I probably raced with you, I was just a kid back then. There is another new different Mike's closer to Kingwood now that blows the old track away..
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

all hobby king is good for (for racers) is batteries and cheap chargers.

al hobbyparts is good for (for racers) is hobby wing electronics, and batteries, and cheap thunder chargers.

thats my opinion most of their other stuff is not worth it.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

As far as info websites go....look no further than RCTECH for the best info on earth lol....and plus 1for LOSI and another plus for HITEC
Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the websites, I'll have a look. I remember Mike's in Porter, he was one of a few owners between Heinz, M&M, etc. '93 was when I raced so I probably raced with you, I was just a kid back then. There is another new different Mike's closer to Kingwood now that blows the old track away..
Yeah it's possible. I was like a junior in high school and all I remember was the poor lighting, flimsy wood tables in the pits, and semi decent track. It was good times back then. What side of town were you from. I used to also run at the oval course up in Conroe if you ever went there? Oh yeah and there is RC Hobbies in The Woodlands if your close by them.

all hobby king is good for (for racers) is batteries and cheap chargers.

thats my opinion most of their other stuff is not worth it.
I agree on that, although I am still little hesitant on pulling the trigger on one of there chargers. Just don't have the faith in them yet. Course my feelings are based on the guys who are more recent to the sport than me and I feed on there opinions.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

I agree on that, although I am still little hesitant on pulling the trigger on one of there chargers. Just don't have the faith in them yet. Course my feelings are based on the guys who are more recent to the sport than me and I feed on there opinions.
I had good luck with my charger from hobby parts, i think it was a ac680 charger. It was super sturdy, and always did a good job balancing and charging my batteries.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

I am assuming you don't have it anymore and it's good to know you had some luck with them. I know a bunch of people do, but it's usually one thing like build quality or a screen crapping out that makes me hesitate. I may still get one, but there are so many out there right now that are good it's difficult to choose.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

I am assuming you don't have it anymore and it's good to know you had some luck with them. I know a bunch of people do, but it's usually one thing like build quality or a screen crapping out that makes me hesitate. I may still get one, but there are so many out there right now that are good it's difficult to choose.
only reason i sold it…I wanted something with a little bit more "umph" something that can do 10 amps was what i was after. And something that had a little bit more features.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I have a ThunderPower Ac6 Charger and its great over a year old and still works perfectly.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah it's possible. I was like a junior in high school and all I remember was the poor lighting, flimsy wood tables in the pits, and semi decent track. It was good times back then. What side of town were you from. I used to also run at the oval course up in Conroe if you ever went there? Oh yeah and there is RC Hobbies in The Woodlands if your close by them.
I lived in Kingwood back then and raced in Conroe a few times but wasn't big on the oval stuff. I'm sure you knew Bartell's, Barry Raborn, Rhett McNair, Frosty StClair, etc.

I've stopped by the new R/C Hobbies just south of the mall and talked a little with them. Seems to be more planes/helicopters but they've got a few things.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

only reason i sold it…I wanted something with a little bit more "umph" something that can do 10 amps was what i was after. And something that had a little bit more features.
Yeah i'm already doing that with mine. I don't mind the charge times, but not having a storage function sucks. I am still stuck trying to figure out which one to get, but that's getting off topic and don't want to hijack his thread.

Originally Posted by Seether
I have a ThunderPower Ac6 Charger and its great over a year old and still works perfectly.
That's one on my list, along with a couple of others.

I lived in Kingwood back then and raced in Conroe a few times but wasn't big on the oval stuff. I'm sure you knew Bartell's, Barry Raborn, Rhett McNair, Frosty StClair, etc.

I've stopped by the new R/C Hobbies just south of the mall and talked a little with them. Seems to be more planes/helicopters but they've got a few things.
I didn't race there too long to really get to know folks too well. I just moved down from the Pacific Northwest back then and really only ran up there with my buddy from high school. Maybe when I move back there later in the year we can run up there before Mike's moves or head to three palms for some testing. It would be good to go out there with an older dog like i'm getting to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.