Wiki Posts
Search

Burned up ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Burned up ESC

Well I got my RC8.2e RTR about mid December brand new. It has been sitting on my floor waiting for parts and a charger. Today I got my charger in and decided to take it out for the first time. I put my battery on my hyperion 0606i charger and set it at this..

The battery

Charging went well. 47 minutes in total. I didn't note the end stats of the charge. I hooked the the battery up, turned on the radio, then the buggy. Everything seemed fine until I noticed immediately that it wasn't receiving a signal very well. I would pull the throttle in and it would sometimes spin the wheels and sometimes it wouldn't. It also sounded a lot like it was grinding really bad every time I was giving it some throttle. I though I might have a binding issue, but attempted to rebind it twice. Still the grinding, occasional wheel spin, and I forgot to mention that there wasn't any reverse. I figured I just needed to mess with speed control. Well I have read this buggy also has a two second delay for reverse and to try holding the throttle back for a couple of seconds. Well I tried that and nothing. Then out of nowhere the buggy starts getting a mind of its own, spinning the wheels, slightly turning the wheels, and the I heard the ESC and it started smoking like a freight train. This is the end result..

I thought my lipo caught fire, but luckily it hadn't. I thought it was the culprit and stuck it back on the charger. Here's the results during charging and end charge..

Initially after ESC burned up...

After charging again everything looks normal and no swelling. So what could have caused this. Did I make a bonehead mistake somewhere or was it something of electrical or mechanical fault?

I did do everything according to the instructions in the box. From my understanding there should be nothing I should have to do to the ESC or radio since it is an RTR correct?

I was really looking forward to running this tonight and hope you guys could shed some light on why this happened so if it was my fault it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Looks like you just got a bad esc. It happens with electronics sometimes.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hotrod87
Looks like you just got a bad esc. It happens with electronics sometimes.
This is what I'm hoping, but just want to make for sure it wasn't me. I've heard some not so decent things about this rtr motor and ESC. That and the diff leaking out of the box, but I just think its excess oil spitting everywhere.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What is perhaps the most well-documented thread in the history of the Rookie section of RCTech leaves little doubt in my mind - +1 to just a bad ESC. The good news is that AE should cover it under warranty no problem if you got it new last month. I'd call them Monday.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

That esc is junk. Get them to warranty and then try to sell it and buy an ESC you will not have issues with. The motor isnt TOO bad but Id sell it as a combo.

And grab a Hobbywing Xerun 150A for $99 from Hobbypartz and a Tacon 2150KV if you want to stay with a motor thats similar to an RTR for $49 or the Tacon 2650kv for buggys for $78 (Sensored)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That esc is junk. Get them to warranty and then try to sell it and buy an ESC you will not have issues with. The motor isnt TOO bad but Id sell it as a combo.

And grab a Hobbywing Xerun 150A for $99 from Hobbypartz and a Tacon 2150KV if you want to stay with a motor thats similar to an RTR for $49 or the Tacon 2650kv for buggys for $78 (Sensored)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkA
What is perhaps the most well-documented thread in the history of the Rookie section of RCTech leaves little doubt in my mind - +1 to just a bad ESC. The good news is that AE should cover it under warranty no problem if you got it new last month. I'd call them Monday.
Well I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one it has happened to it., but for someone who hasn't touched an RC in 20 years I like crossing my I's and dotting my T's, you know know what I mean. I was more worried about burning down the house. So your number 2 on the ESC and its giving me a little bit more warm fuzzy it is the culprit. I'm sure it probably is and I believe both of you 100%, and I'm sure someone else will also state the same. I'm sure Panda or Blitz should say something. So far I have seen them all over and they have given me and others some good advice. On that note thanks for yours and Hotrod's.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Seether

That's what I heard and now I'm starting to think I should have just bought the FT version. I'll probably take your advice on it and throw something else in there. Just wasn't expecting it to be garbage out of the box. Heck even my evader ran straight out of the box.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+1 on the hobbywing stuff. No problems so far had mine for about 6months. Sry it happened though i know it blows!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1/8Buggyfan
+1 on the hobbywing stuff. No problems so far had mine for about 6months. Sry it happened though i know it blows!
Yeah , but hopefully I can get the cheaper setup in before I hit the flight line again like I was telling you. That should buy some time until i can put something else in it. I am eventually going to race this buggy and adjust from there.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

I might also throw this in until I get some money for a Tekin or LRP. Your guys thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...-/360686498599
Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

tekins have a rep for burning up also. mine did and so did another guy at the track last week. as his car was burning one of the other guys yelled out it smells like a tekin fire in here. sad thing was the car did have a RX8 gen2.
and others have told me it's pretty common for them.

as for the one in your link it's only 120amp. seems a bit low for a 1/8 scale esc from all the ones i've seen.
even the hobbywing is 150A. but at least it has a 7v BEC. so you have the option to run a high voltage servo for max speed and torque.

for comparison my viper vtx8 esc is 220amp. i think he tekin is too

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 01-04-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

To the Guy above me, Unless your driving a tank 120A will be fine, People use 150A for security. Castle / Tekin / Hobbywing are ALL leaders in 8th scale.

The best bang for your buck I PROMISE you is the Tacon Xerun 150A for $99 and the Orange Can Tacon 2150kv or Black Can Tacon 2650kv sensored.

Esc - http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-150a-sd.html $99.99

Orange Tacon - http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m802-4074-2150kv.html $59.00

Black Tacon - http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m931-sen...71-kv2650.html $54.88

The Tacon motors are litterally the FASTEST I have ever run and last just as well as a Castle or Tekin. And anyways for $50 run it like a dog untill it dies (motor not esc, esc will last forever lol) and replace it and still spend less then a castle or tekin setup.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Just remember not to leave that lipo charged, while your waiting for your new electronics. your charger should have a "storage" mode
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Well those escs are not 3s freindly, i have seen quite a few look like that, and worse....get a tekin rx8 for 1/8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.