Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Question on battery for Traxxas Rustler XVL >

Question on battery for Traxxas Rustler XVL

Question on battery for Traxxas Rustler XVL

Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Question on battery for Traxxas Rustler XVL

Hey guys. With Christmas right around the corner, i had finally figured out what to get my 9 year old son(and me of course). After searching, I figured the Traxxas Rustler xvL would be the best way to go since we are new to this and are just gonna tinker around on pavement and grass....maybe dirt. After reading countless threads and Christmas approaching rapidly, I am hoping someone can sum it up for me in getting me set up with a battery and charger and pinion/gear(if necessary) for this car. Reading around the internet and talking to hobby stores, my head is kind of spinning. A lot of the threads i read seem to be old so not sure about if new technology came along since, and I am confused about what size mah battery to get and also that will fit. i would like everything i need on christmas to get this car where it needs to be. I would like it to scream above 70mph, be able to have decent amount of use per battery, and fast charges. The above 70mph is for me, i figured i'd use the esc to tone it down until he is ready. Thanks.

I had narrowed it down to a Turnigy Nano tech LiPo battery. Can someone just tell me what to order to get the thing running over 70. I will be ordering from hobby king and getting turnigy nano tech.

1) which turnigy nano tech lipo battery(which mah is best, i was thinking from 5000-6500mah....too little, too much)?part # please
2) which battery charger?(would like a fast reasonble charge) part # please
3) which pinion or gear or both(if necessary)?part # please

Part #s please, time is running out and need to order today. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I like the losi pinion gears. Here is the one you will need http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...inion-Gear-31T

You will also need a 3s lipo battery. I like smc batteries, better than turnigy batteries.

Please be aware how fast 70 mph is. You will quickly start to break parts at anything over45 mph I have found.

To reduce breakages, pick up a set of rpm arms, towers, and a set of strc shock caps, or upgrade to traxxas big bore aluminum shocks.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

As for a charger, how much do you want to spend? 300 dollars will get you a great charger setup, but it is expensive for some. 50 dollars will get you a charger, but it will be slow, and not very many features.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I thought i needed something like a 31/76 gear or something? Why does that one have one number.

I will check out the smc batteries. How many mah can i get away with without having to get a battery extension kit? Also i am looking at the smc website, how do i know which 3s 11.1v will fit my car? The maxamp website made it pretty easy to search by vehicle but they are out of their mind with prices.

As for a charger, i just need something that will charge 1 battery maybe like an hour. 5 hrs is just way too long.

Last edited by JohnDS; 12-15-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JohnDS
Thanks for the replies. I thought i needed something like a 31/76 gear or something? Why does that one have one number.

I will check out the smc batteries. How many mah can i get away with without having to get a battery extension kit? Also i am looking at the smc website, how do i know which 3s 11.1v will fit my car? The maxamp website made it pretty easy to search by vehicle but they are out of their mind with prices.

As for a charger, i just need something that will charge 1 battery maybe like an hour. 5 hrs is just way too long.
for gearing: it is made up of a pinion (31 tooth) and a spur (76 tooth) the pinion and spur are separate items. I think the car comes with a smaller spur gear (76 tooth one) to get the 70 mph speed.

for the smc batteries i think this one would fithttp://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=182

it is not currently available though. i would seriously start with 2s lipo though. You will quickly realize that 2s is enough for anything but boring speed runs.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok i am going to order the gear you had suggested. And i am also preordering the battery you had listed as well, probably two of them. Now, what charger do you think i should get? I would like it to charge in a reasonable timeframe, but more importantly i would like more of an idiot proof charger that doesnt overcharge, balances the battery cells out, and has discharging capabilities for storing if possible. I really am only going by what i have read about them, not sure how serious all that is. I was thinking of going with this one HP-EOS730I Hyperion Eos 730i Net3 7S 16N Balance Charger. The guy at max amp said it will charge a 4000mah in 10-15 minutes. Is the smc battery capable of those charging times and is this a good charger?
Oh also i have two more important questions:
1)will these lipo batteries work with my car's low voltage detection?(i heard so you dont run them too low)
2)will i still be able to use the esc to tone the speed down a little for the little guy?i was thinking doing this instead of buying the 2s battery.

Thank you for your time and help, i really appreciate it.

Last edited by JohnDS; 12-16-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Ok i am going to order the gear you had suggested. And i am also preordering the battery you had listed as well, probably two of them. Now, what charger do you think i should get? I would like it to charge in a reasonable timeframe, but more importantly i would like more of an idiot proof charger that doesnt overcharge, balances the battery cells out, and has discharging capabilities for storing if possible. I really am only going by what i have read about them, not sure how serious all that is. I was thinking of going with this one HP-EOS730I Hyperion Eos 730i Net3 7S 16N Balance Charger. The guy at max amp said it will charge a 4000mah in 10-15 minutes. Is the smc battery capable of those charging times and is this a good charger?
Oh also i have two more important questions:
1)will these lipo batteries work with my car's low voltage detection?(i heard so you dont run them too low)
2)will i still be able to use the esc to tone the speed down a little for the little guy?i was thinking doing this instead of buying the 2s battery.

Thank you for your time and help, i really appreciate it.
You will need a power supply to go along with the charger as well. that is another 75-150 dollars. it is a good charger though. The safest thing to charge lipo packs at is 1c, or capacity (Lets say 5000mah) decided by 1000
so 5000/1000=5 this means 1c charge rate for this pack would be 5 amps. some packs can take hagher charge rates 2c,3c,4c,5c etc. but it is not as good for the packs as a simple 1c charge.

the packs will work fine with the low voltage detection. Lipo batteries should not be discharged past 3.0 volts per cell at maximum minimal discharge. It is much safer to the packs to keep them above 3.4-3.6 volts per cell. When you get the car, follow the instructions to set the lvc to a 3s battery.

Traxxas escs are not very programmable, they do have a training mode though, that will limit power output to 50% of full power. The vxl esc also is supposed to run censored motors, but when i tried that, it smoked it. so…yeah, cant recommend that.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great info. Thanks guys.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
You will need a power supply to go along with the charger as well. that is another 75-150 dollars. it is a good charger though. The safest thing to charge lipo packs at is 1c, or capacity (Lets say 5000mah) decided by 1000
so 5000/1000=5 this means 1c charge rate for this pack would be 5 amps. some packs can take hagher charge rates 2c,3c,4c,5c etc. but it is not as good for the packs as a simple 1c charge.

the packs will work fine with the low voltage detection. Lipo batteries should not be discharged past 3.0 volts per cell at maximum minimal discharge. It is much safer to the packs to keep them above 3.4-3.6 volts per cell. When you get the car, follow the instructions to set the lvc to a 3s battery.

Traxxas escs are not very programmable, they do have a training mode though, that will limit power output to 50% of full power. The vxl esc also is supposed to run censored motors, but when i tried that, it smoked it. so…yeah, cant recommend that.
Yes great info. Thank you very much.
I had no idea about the charge rate for these batteries. Supposedly the 5450mah max amp batteries are 5c if i heard the guy correct on the phone. So from what i am understanding from you is that a 5c battery is able to handle more current to charge faster. I know they are expensive and everyone hates max amps, but i may consider them because of the fast charge capabilities but really dont want to spend that much on a battery $150+...that is insane. But I would still like to charge my lipos under 20min though.

Anyway, side note. What happens if you run the 3s lipo with stock gears? And also why do they say not to run your 31/76 setup offroad?

Last edited by JohnDS; 12-16-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Yes great info. Thank you very much.
I had no idea about the charge rate for these batteries. Supposedly the 5450mah max amp batteries are 5c if i heard the guy correct on the phone. So from what i am understanding from you is that a 5c battery is able to handle more current to charge faster. I know they are expensive and everyone hates max amps, but i may consider them because of the fast charge capabilities but really dont want to spend that much on a battery $150+...that is insane. But I would still like to charge my lipos under 20min though.

Anyway, side note. What happens if you run the 3s lipo with stock gears? And also why do they say not to run your 31/76 setup offroad?
Ok a "standard" charge that is acceptated anywhere is 1c batteries are oftwn to take more charge power, say 2c 3c etc. this means the battery can be charger faster. The only problem, it is not as safe, and will decrease the life and number of cyxles the pack will take.

If you ran the stock gearig on 3s it would run fine, just a little slower than the "speed gearing setup"

They say not to run the speed gearing on dirt because it is to stressful on the electronics, and for dirt anyways you dont want to be going more than 30-40 moh anyways, often much slower. Its more the electronics though.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Ok a "standard" charge that is acceptated anywhere is 1c batteries are oftwn to take more charge power, say 2c 3c etc. this means the battery can be charger faster. The only problem, it is not as safe, and will decrease the life and number of cyxles the pack will take.

If you ran the stock gearig on 3s it would run fine, just a little slower than the "speed gearing setup"

They say not to run the speed gearing on dirt because it is to stressful on the electronics, and for dirt anyways you dont want to be going more than 30-40 moh anyways, often much slower. Its more the electronics though.
Understood. I ordered the gear already....cant wait. I am going to order the HP-EOS730I Hyperion Eos 730i Net3 7S 16N Balance Charger with the 24v power supply. Im going to taker your advice and order a 2s lipo for the little guy. But i think i might, do i dare say it, go with max amp. I am thinking about getting the Hard Case Race Edition LiPo 6500 2-cell 7.4v Dual Core Battery Pack and the 3S LiPo 5450 3-cell 11.1v Battery Pack on their website. The only thing that i dont understand about ordering these batteries is they have the option of coming with JST-XH taps, Thunder Power taps, or Hyperion Taps. Which should i choose and why? And any opinion on me purchasing these batteries? I think i have no more questions lol. As always, the help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Understood. I ordered the gear already....cant wait. I am going to order the HP-EOS730I Hyperion Eos 730i Net3 7S 16N Balance Charger with the 24v power supply. Im going to taker your advice and order a 2s lipo for the little guy. But i think i might, do i dare say it, go with max amp. I am thinking about getting the Hard Case Race Edition LiPo 6500 2-cell 7.4v Dual Core Battery Pack and the 3S LiPo 5450 3-cell 11.1v Battery Pack on their website. The only thing that i dont understand about ordering these batteries is they have the option of coming with JST-XH taps, Thunder Power taps, or Hyperion Taps. Which should i choose and why? And any opinion on me purchasing these batteries? I think i have no more questions lol. As always, the help is greatly appreciated.
those are the type of balance plug is comes with. since you are getting a hyperion charger, you would want hyperion balance plug.

i don't suggest spending that much on batteries. You can get SMC packs that will do just as well in the conditions you will use them in. For more than 120 less per pack.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Who directed you to MaxAmps? Do you know that most of their stuff is way overpriced?
Do you really wont spend close to $600 on TWO batteries and the charger for the Rustler (it's not the most demanding RC car when it comes to power requirement).
It's better to get two (cheaper) 2S packs and slower (again cheaper) charger than one pack and fast charger. You will get more run time and the batteries will last longer.

As for balance taps, get what's most popular which is JST-XH. This way you could always use someone else charger if you ever need. The Hyperion charger comes with JST-XH balance adapter too.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kuba
Who directed you to MaxAmps? Do you know that most of their stuff is way overpriced?
Do you really wont spend close to $600 on TWO batteries and the charger for the Rustler (it's not the most demanding RC car when it comes to power requirement).
It's better to get two (cheaper) 2S packs and slower (again cheaper) charger than one pack and fast charger. You will get more run time and the batteries will last longer.

As for balance taps, get what's most popular which is JST-XH. This way you could always use someone else charger if you ever need. The Hyperion charger comes with JST-XH balance adapter too.
good point, max amps is pricy, they do hold the title for the batteries powering the fastest rc speed car though.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you get those turnigy nano techs get the fastest shipping, if you don't it won't be there by Xmas. They take a while to deliver with free shipping. I'm waiting on one right now and it's been 2 weeks, still not in the US. They are great battery's but the shipping isn't

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.