Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help choosing a cheap esc for toy-grade rc testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help choosing a cheap esc for toy-grade rc testing

Hey guys, i've skimming through this forum for a while now and decided this is where i need to be
I'm pretty new to the whole hobby rc scene, but i've always really enjoyed rc vehicles and i've collected a few cheap toy-grades over the years.

I bought a torment couple months back but it's been boxed up because it was much bigger than i thought

I've decided to undertake the challenge of converting my toy-grades with hobby grade parts.

I've decided to use my ecx motor (dynamite 15T) and battery (7.2 ni-mh) for the build.

What i need is a compatible esc. I would go with copy from my ecx torment but the tazer is $35 kinda a bit much.

Well i did some browsing and found the following esc's but i don't know if they're any good. Can you guys help me with my choice from the following list or any other suggestions

Note: I can't post links yet, just copy the names as is and search them for details/specs.
  • Hobbypower High-V 320A Brushed ESC Speed Controller with Fan for On-road Car Truck Auto T
  • Jmt 7.2-16v High Voltage Version 320a Brushed ESC Tow Way with Brake for Rc Car Boat
  • Hobbypower VSC 320a Brushed Speed Controller ESC for 1/10 Car Truck Boat
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Any of those should work fine - 320a is a lot more than any brushed 15t will ever draw. Only caveat is that if this project ever trends towards using lipo batteries, I do not believe any of those have the necessary lipo voltage cutoff for safe lipo usage.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

i do not believe any of those escs are really rated for that amp output.

May I ask why? you choose to do this? the torment is a standard size rc act, but if you want smaller, you can get mini scales. I see a lot of money being wasted, going in to test fit parts, that might not actually fit.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda

May I ask why? you choose to do this? the torment is a standard size rc act, but if you want smaller, you can get mini scales. I see a lot of money being wasted, going in to test fit parts, that might not actually fit.

Well, the torment isn't really overly big, but the area i'm limited to at home, i can't even top out my torment!

For me with the area i got to work with, i would love a 1:14/1:16 scale.

The toy grade rc that i'm building is exactly 12 inches long which is sorta my ideal size.

I don't plan on keeping the 15T motor in my torment long anyway, isn't as torque-y as i want.

Also the parts i'm buying for my build, if the build doesn't work out, i'm planning to get a kit to drop the parts in.

Anyway i haven't decided which esc to get yet. Still looking for more information...
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ThePanda

Suspect you are correct. Some ESCs are rated by sum of the maximum transistor component values, not accounting for as used in circuit limitations, derating for thermal considerations, etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sinharvest
Well, the torment isn't really overly big, but the area i'm limited to at home, i can't even top out my torment!

For me with the area i got to work with, i would love a 1:14/1:16 scale.

The toy grade rc that i'm building is exactly 12 inches long which is sorta my ideal size.

I don't plan on keeping the 15T motor in my torment long anyway, isn't as torque-y as i want.

Also the parts i'm buying for my build, if the build doesn't work out, i'm planning to get a kit to drop the parts in.

Anyway i haven't decided which esc to get yet. Still looking for more information...
Well i suggest getting a mini e revo, or to get traxxas parts, they are cheap, and if they dont work, they are an easy sell. Compared to other parts. Juat be aware, atarting with a cheap toy grade platform is going to produxw a much worse car over going hobbygrade from thw beginning.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I find the easiest way to tackle a question like this is to first decide on what speed you want your rc car to go as a max. With a theoretical max speed you can work backwards with a given wheel size, battery Voltage and then look at a few different gear ratio and motor RPM/v (kV) values to get the desired speed you want. If you already know what voltage you want to run at and have the battery you want to use, then you can just calculate the max current draw from the battery based on the C rating to get the amount your ESC might need to handle. Capacity*C rating = your max current your battery can send to the motor (continuous or burst depending on which C rating you use). The continuous current is probably best to use if your motor isn't running too hot. So for a 2S 2200mah 30C battery you get max draw 66A. If you search for steventaitinger how to choose esc you can see how I chose a motor and ESC for my custom RC project.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
Any of those should work fine - 320a is a lot more than any brushed 15t will ever draw. Only caveat is that if this project ever trends towards using lipo batteries, I do not believe any of those have the necessary lipo voltage cutoff for safe lipo usage.
Mark does the HV voltage verison output 7.2v to servos?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sinharvest
Hey guys, i've skimming through this forum for a while now and decided this is where i need to be
I'm pretty new to the whole hobby rc scene, but i've always really enjoyed rc vehicles and i've collected a few cheap toy-grades over the years.

I bought a torment couple months back but it's been boxed up because it was much bigger than i thought

I've decided to undertake the challenge of converting my toy-grades with hobby grade parts.

I've decided to use my ecx motor (dynamite 15T) and battery (7.2 ni-mh) for the build.

What i need is a compatible esc. I would go with copy from my ecx torment but the tazer is $35 kinda a bit much.

Well i did some browsing and found the following esc's but i don't know if they're any good. Can you guys help me with my choice from the following list or any other suggestions

Note: I can't post links yet, just copy the names as is and search them for details/specs.
  • Hobbypower High-V 320A Brushed ESC Speed Controller with Fan for On-road Car Truck Auto T
  • Jmt 7.2-16v High Voltage Version 320a Brushed ESC Tow Way with Brake for Rc Car Boat
  • Hobbypower VSC 320a Brushed Speed Controller ESC for 1/10 Car Truck Boat
Mark is the goto man here for Small scale EP offroad cars, there's very little I've seen to question.

1/16th, if it is offroad and you're running on lawn etc, it's hard to put a good package together than won't harm the drivetrain of a smaller scale hobby/toy model. It'll have smaller wheels, spin up more and it'll be hard on the little thing.

But if your motive is to get the most out of the rollers you already have and enjoy the wrenching, then start with the motor mounts, see what they can support and whether you need a speed controller for Sensored AND Sensorless motors, no point buying it if it don't fit or work. Get an idea of what batteries work and a ESC with a USB port and cables/UARTS for programming. 3220A must be a burst current, 120A @ 7.4V is more than enough for anything 1:10 scale, check the dimensions of what you're looking at, Hobbyking pics are deceiving in size at the best of times.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Mark does the HV voltage verison output 7.2v to servos?
I am unaware of any brushed ESC as the OP was asking about (more than two years ago) ever outputting more than 6.0v to the servos via the BEC.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Look for the HPI esc's from the drift cars and blitz SCT, they run around $20 on ebay, im sure you could find cheaper, but this is a decent one that can be found readily.