Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soldering Irons Recs

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Soldering Irons Recs

I bought a Trakpower TK60 soldering iron and after 10 minutes of being on, the plastic at the handle started to bubble and the led light cover is almost about to fall out. This thing is garbage. Is there a soldering iron out there that doesn't continue to get hot and has automatic temperature regulation/shut-off? Or are all soldering irons like this? Will Tower take back this POS?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i run a trakpower tk950, it works flawlessly, does what I need it to do, and is reliable. It also heats up rather quick. No complaints here.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cinnabun
i run a trakpower tk950, it works flawlessly, does what I need it to do, and is reliable. It also heats up rather quick. No complaints here.
Does it have automatic shut-off?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use a Hakko fX951. A little spendy an overkill lol. Its ready to start soldering in literally 3-4 seconds.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tower will take it back.
I have a 8 dollar 60 watt Hibico soldering iron, works great.
I will never spend big money on a soldering station, or the likes ever again.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Considering the cost of the equipment we use, how often we must solder I don't think it's a bad investment to pay a little more and not only enjoy soldering, but make for a better connection and feel satisfaction.

I've invested in Japanese made GOOT irons and a station and haven't regretted the investment. I'm sure there are decent economy or rebranded irons that many will swear by. The little extra we paid is insignificant to the overall RC budget.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

i have a hakko 936 and love it i do beleive the track power set ups are hakko set ups but with the track power name stuck on it
Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

A temperature controlled/regulated station is indeed useful in my opinion. The fairly popular older Hakko 836 and new 888 model stations are excellent for RC, along with what appears to be the rebrand TrakPower 950. As mentioned they heat up quick so don’t need to be left on, or at least turned up to temp, and include a holder so you don’t have a hot iron laying around. Not familiar with Goots but always hear good things.

If you are looking for something that shuts off automatically after a period of inactivity as far as I know that requires a costlier professional model. The LRP unit is an example I believe, think it’s rebranded but don’t remember who from.

The stations are certainly nice, but not absolutely needed. What is essential is a large enough tip, a good sized chisel tip for most RC motor and battery work. Helps maintain heat so soldering can be done properly. As opposed to small tips used for circuit board work common on many low cost irons. Figure on at least 40 watts or so too. The 40W Weller seems to be a popular reasonable cost approach for a basic good iron.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Considering the cost of the equipment we use, how often we must solder I don't think it's a bad investment to pay a little more and not only enjoy soldering, but make for a better connection and feel satisfaction.

I've invested in Japanese made GOOT irons and a station and haven't regretted the investment. I'm sure there are decent economy or rebranded irons that many will swear by. The little extra we paid is insignificant to the overall RC budget.
I agree, you don't have to spend a fortune, but at times paying a little more can be worth it. The one I use is like this: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/we...lder/1140a.htm , can transfer heat VERY fast(which is definitely a good thing) & gets plenty hot enough to handle just about anything. The only thing it's not good for is very small joints, like components on a circuit board or those tiny wires like from a transponder or receiver wire(for those you do need a little less heat & a smaller tip, but I can borrow a friend's station in those instances, at the track, you probably can too). Oh, & I've had my current one for over 5 years & it's still working pretty well(though the tip is starting to pit, may need replacing soon)....
Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
The 40W Weller seems to be a popular reasonable cost approach for a basic good iron.
+1 on the weller. For the price it is very nice. I don't particularly like the set screw holder system they use for fear of loosing them, and a tip falling out.

I don't really see the need for a station, when my 25 single iron can do the exact same work as the 150 stations.

Last edited by ThePanda; 11-24-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave H
A temperature controlled/regulated station is indeed useful in my opinion. The fairly popular older Hakko 836 and new 888 model stations are excellent for RC, along with what appears to be the rebrand TrakPower 950. As mentioned they heat up quick so don’t need to be left on, or at least turned up to temp, and include a holder so you don’t have a hot iron laying around. Not familiar with Goots but always hear good things.

If you are looking for something that shuts off automatically after a period of inactivity as far as I know that requires a costlier professional model. The LRP unit is an example I believe, think it’s rebranded but don’t remember who from.

The stations are certainly nice, but not absolutely needed. What is essential is a large enough tip, a good sized chisel tip for most RC motor and battery work. Helps maintain heat so soldering can be done properly. As opposed to small tips used for circuit board work common on many low cost irons. Figure on at least 40 watts or so too. The 40W Weller seems to be a popular reasonable cost approach for a basic good iron.
The Quick 202D is the LRP rebrand but I agree, I probably don't need a station. I just want an iron that heats the solder up quickly. The Trakpower 60 just takes too long for my comfort. I feel like the Dean connector itself is going to melt before the solder does. Look at this trakpower 60 after a 10 minute session. Notice the LED cover is also falling out of its housing.
Attached Thumbnails Soldering Irons Recs-image.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have you called anyone at Trakpower yet about this yet ? They are a stand up company and I am sure they will make good on it . I love mine !!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by speedracer109
Have you called anyone at Trakpower yet about this yet ? They are a stand up company and I am sure they will make good on it . I love mine !!!!
It just happened yesterday and respect that you like yours but to be honest, I don't want another one. My wife's hair straightening iron knows when it's been placed on the counter, has ceramic heating elements / automatic temperature regulation, and draws 1200 watts. Why can't a 30.00 soldering iron have the same amount of intelligence? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by juicemouse; 11-25-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I just picked up a Aoyue 937+ for $60. GREAT iron for the money. You can set the temp, it heats up fast, and it is a very nice unit. Uses common tips that you can find everywhere. I did a lot of research and this unit does a LOT for the money.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
I just picked up a Aoyue 937+ for $60. GREAT iron for the money. You can set the temp, it heats up fast, and it is a very nice unit. Uses common tips that you can find everywhere. I did a lot of research and this unit does a LOT for the money.
That looks like a nice unit! I ended up ordering the LRP, even though the Quick 202d is the same unit and sells for 140.00 (+20.00 shipping) but the 202D doesn't come with two tips, which would cost at least 40.00 extra. Plus with Tower's current member's promotions, the out the door price was 180.00 w/ free shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.