Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New guy to racing ~ have a battery question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default New guy to racing ~ have a battery question

Hey guys. I'm going to start racing soon, and know everything about it except for one thing; how many batteries should I buy for my cars to be able to get through a race/practice day? I ask because the track I go to has a charging station, so I can always recharge my packs, but how many packs should I have to get through the day? I was thinking that maybe 2 is all I need, or maybe even 1, but would like some opinions first. Coming from the airplane side of things where you need a bunch of batteries (say 5-10) for a good amount of flying time, its a little bit new to me. Also, should I use different batteries for bashing and racing, or is it okay to use the same batteries for both?

Last edited by electricrc68; 11-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes it's fine to bash and race with the same packs. Just don't make it a habit to run them to lvc like many bashers do all too often.

For battery count, two will be fine. You'll have more than enough time to recharge between races with two and in practice, you'll need to take breaks to let the motor cool anyway.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkA
Yes it's fine to bash and race with the same packs. Just don't make it a habit to run them to lvc like many bashers do all too often.

For battery count, two will be fine. You'll have more than enough time to recharge between races with two and in practice, you'll need to take breaks to let the motor cool anyway.
Sweet thanks! I'll get two batteries then. And yes, I'll try and make sure I don't hit LVC. Hard to tell how much juice you have left, but I'll make sure to pay attention to that.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Questions?? Novak Smart Stop

Originally Posted by electricrc68
Sweet thanks! I'll get two batteries then. And yes, I'll try and make sure I don't hit LVC. Hard to tell how much juice you have left, but I'll make sure to pay attention to that.
Doesn't Novak make a item called a Smart Stop where you have a blue LED that lets you know the voltage is getting low? I was just wondering if the light comes on BEFORE the LVC kicks in. Like, say at a voltage slightly higher than LVC.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks
Doesn't Novak make a item called a Smart Stop where you have a blue LED that lets you know the voltage is getting low? I was just wondering if the light comes on BEFORE the LVC kicks in. Like, say at a voltage slightly higher than LVC.
Hmmm I'm not sure. I have heard of that, but never really knew when it actually kicked in.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

After abusing a few batteries by running to LVC and charging immediately over and over. I have found the my batteries are happier if I run for 10-12 minutes let the battery relax and cool down then recharge. They usually end up at a good storage charge when done and only take a short time to recharge. If I may make a suggestion on batteries check out SMC they have a presence here. The stuff seems to be top grade, they balance charge very quickly and are holding up well over the last few months.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tajar66
After abusing a few batteries by running to LVC and charging immediately over and over. I have found the my batteries are happier if I run for 10-12 minutes let the battery relax and cool down then recharge. They usually end up at a good storage charge when done and only take a short time to recharge. If I may make a suggestion on batteries check out SMC they have a presence here. The stuff seems to be top grade, they balance charge very quickly and are holding up well over the last few months.
Cool thanks for the tips! I was looking into SPC batteries...are those good as well?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by electricrc68
Cool thanks for the tips! I was looking into SPC batteries...are those good as well?
To be honest, I'd never heard of SPC but when I Googled my way to their website, their "about us" page only says, "coming soon" and they also don't appear to offer any ROAR-approved packs which some tracks may require. SMC is an icon of the industry with good battery values for the money.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkA
To be honest, I'd never heard of SPC but when I Googled my way to their website, their "about us" page only says, "coming soon" and they also don't appear to offer any ROAR-approved packs which some tracks may require. SMC is an icon of the industry with good battery values for the money.
Okay cool thanks. I'll look at SMC then.