Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First Time Buyer

Hey everyone, I am brand new to this forum and just about equally as new to the world of RC. I've been interested in getting myself a 1/10 short course truck and have spent the last month or so reading up on everything I'd need. Though I've narrowed my sights I could still use a little help with some of the finer details.

One side note, I don't want to skimp out here, the reason some of the components may seem "out of my league" is because I'd like to do this right. I know this is something I'll enjoy for many years and therefore want quality products that will last.

The Set Up

Truck
TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit
I would really like to build my first car, hence not going with an RTR. Not to mention I'd like a radio I can grow into as opposed to growing out of, meaning the RTR's stock equipment just ain't gonna cut it.

Radio
Futaba 4PLS
Originally I was looking at Spektrum's line but after reading about their range issues I've decided to look elsewhere. The 4PLS fits all required fields and then some.

Charger/Power Supply
HiTec X2-400 (With adequate power supply)
A little more powerful then what I need for a couple 2S 5000 mAh batts, but I'm doing this looking forward. If I ever want to upgrade to a 1/8th buggy or get into the world of planes and heli's that extra power will definitely come in handy.

This is where I start to drift. I'm really not to sure where to look when it comes to Motors, ESC's, Battery Brands, Servos. I'm also open to charger ideas as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

This is my opinions only... It sounds like you plan to race. Knowing that you are going to want a sensored setup. The most popular rout followed by most is to go with a tekin rx8 and a pro 4hd motor (kv depending on track size) If you would like to save a little the hobbywing sct pro system is supposed to be very very good for its price. Lrp also has a sct specific motor and esc combo, but I have no experience with that one. These are just the most popular ones for racers.

As for batteries, I highly recommend SMC. They make great batteries, at much lower costs over larger brands. (The more expensive ones being max amps, Orion, trinity rev tech, etc. )

As for servos, the futaba line of servos is often considered to be the nicest. That being said, for what you pay they are also quite pricey. You will want to look into a high torque servo for your 4x4 sct. (Something with 250 + oz in of torque is what I would feel comfortable with) and that can be had at lower costs over futaba. Many people really like savox, the downside being the need to run an external bec or capacitor on the receiver with some escs. Some other very nice servo brands are: hitec, Ko propo, radiopost, airtronics, jr, and spektrum.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm not a fan of hitec. Hobby king sells a charger that's pretty much the same for less. Same software interface and all. I don't like them due to the low discharge rate, 1A/2A. If you're in the lipo storage camp, it'll take an hour to storage batteries sometimes.

I really like the TrakPower stuff. Charger/batteries/ESC. The ESC may not work for you though, 4x4SC. The charger goes up to 25A charge/10A discharge on port 1. 6A charge/no discharge on port 2.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Awesome info guys! Looks like I've got my research ahead of me. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

While I still have some research to do on the ESC, Motor and Servo, I believe I've settled on my charger. I'm going with the Powerlab 6. Couple this with a nice 30VDC 1000W 40A power supply and I'll never need to upgrade... EVER!

Also, by getting myself one of those sweet Paraboard's I can parallel charge up to 6 packs at a time.

Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it was me, being your first car/truck, I would get a ready-to-run.
That way, if you decide down the road that this is not for you, just list
it for sale.
I did not see a budget figure, so, looks like you are willing to spend some coin.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I own a Kyosho Mini Z and have been racing it for a few years now. I know for a fact that this isn't going to just be a fad I eventually grow out of. I've been interested in stepping into 1/10th for quite sometime, and am finally in the financial position to do it right.

My budget is fairly steep, I'm thinking something around the $1000.00 range. I do intend to race and know as soon as I start, I wont want to stop, hence my rather lofty budget.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

I'm also open to charger ideas as well.
Powerlab6
http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-6.html
Parallel board.
http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-uni...or-jst-xh.html
On the charger thing, I went in with both feet.LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
As for servos, the futaba line of servos is often considered to be the nicest. That being said, for what you pay they are also quite pricey. You will want to look into a high torque servo for your 4x4 sct. (Something with 250 + oz in of torque is what I would feel comfortable with) and that can be had at lower costs over futaba. Many people really like savox, the downside being the need to run an external bec or capacitor on the receiver with some escs. Some other very nice servo brands are: hitec, Ko propo, radiopost, airtronics, jr, and spektrum.
FWIW, I ran a SCTE 1.0, the heavy, heavy, heavy, one very successfully with both a Futaba BLS451 and an Associated DS1015 steering servo in it at different points. Neither required an external BEC or power cap run through the 4PL's stock receiver with an Orion R10 providing the power. A lot of the 250oz-in+ ones will require more power and tend to, imo, generally sacrifice some smoothness.

Otherwise, +1 for SMC batteries but if they're out of stock or your track is more of a stickler for ROAR-approved batteries, take a look at Promatch as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

I checked out the SMC batteries=14.8 volts/6500/70c/4s=85 bucks.
The Pro-Match was 14.8 volts/7200/80c/4s=145 bucks, I'll stay with SMC batteries.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes Markcuda! This is exactly the charger I'm looking at, with the board and all. I like the idea of buying my main components once. Many have told me to take it easy, get something cheaper and see if I actually enjoy the hobby. I already know I love it and have no intention of giving it up anytime soon, so kudos on the quality gear!

Now for another question. I'm beginning my search of ESC/Brushless Motor combos and would like to know what everyone would recommend. I don't mean what brand, but rather what features I should look for with these components. There are just too many makes and models out there for me to even know where to begin.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ponsrow
Yes Markcuda! This is exactly the charger I'm looking at, with the board and all. I like the idea of buying my main components once. Many have told me to take it easy, get something cheaper and see if I actually enjoy the hobby. I already know I love it and have no intention of giving it up anytime soon, so kudos on the quality gear!

Now for another question. I'm beginning my search of ESC/Brushless Motor combos and would like to know what everyone would recommend. I don't mean what brand, but rather what features I should look for with these components. There are just too many makes and models out there for me to even know where to begin.
what electronics and features you will choose/need will vary based on application.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Cool

Ponsrow, I was very apprehensive before I bought my Powerlab6.
I bet some peeps thought that I was just a talker
I was very wishy washy on the power supply I wanted to get.
So, after all the procrastinating, I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ponsrow
Since you're buying a Losi SCTE, your electronics options are actually very limited. You're effectively looking for a 2s version of a 1/8th system. Even though you asked not for brands specifically, it's easier to just say that you really only have two main choices, imo, and the rest of what it out there as far as comparison shopping goes is just background noise. The Tekin Rx8 with a Pro4 motor as mentioned above and the Hobby Wing SCT combo. Either will offer more power than you'll ever need and are proven systems. I personally would go with the HW as I prefer the LCD-box based programmers as opposed to the Tekin Hotwire setup.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MarkA
Since you're buying a Losi SCTE, your electronics options are actually very limited. You're effectively looking for a 2s version of a 1/8th system. Even though you asked not for brands specifically, it's easier to just say that you really only have two main choices, imo, and the rest of what it out there as far as comparison shopping goes is just background noise. The Tekin Rx8 with a Pro4 motor as mentioned above and the Hobby Wing SCT combo. Either will offer more power than you'll ever need and are proven systems. I personally would go with the HW as I prefer the LCD-box based programmers as opposed to the Tekin Hotwire setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.