Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Reversing battery wires? >

Reversing battery wires?

Reversing battery wires?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Reversing battery wires?

I've been curious, what happens to your battery/car if you reversed the power leads to the battery? Will this ruin the ESC, Battery, receiver etc?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yes, probably will fry the esc, some escs might have reverse polarity connection, but im not sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

It depends on the esc and batt, a good brand batt will have more of a chance not to be ruined, and the esc as well, I plugged a team Orion batt into a velineon and it just melted the solder off the bullets, nothing was messed up, however I have taken many batts apart of all brands that I find that have been plugged in backwards, and the little foil tabs that conect the cells are always severed!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

As a rule it is not something to try, but if you do there is a more than good chance you will ruin the ESC and the battery may not be happy with you either. The one time I did I only blew a solder joint to the ESC loose, did not seem to have any real damage. So you can get lucky.

But as a rule, if you let the smoke out of something you can not put it back in...
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

If the blue smoke comes out it's bad. Seriously...don't do it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's what I was worried about. I did this last night (shouldn't be watching the World Series and working on car at the same time) by accident. What was strange was that I had a spark at the battery but once I attached the leads correctly it was running. It ran for about 2 minutes then suddenly stopped responding to throttle requests. I have a Tekin Gen2 ESC and 17.5t motor so I looked up the error code it was flashing. Sounds like lights 1,2 and 6,7 blinking may indicate I cooked the motor. Do you think the ESC is ok if it's flashing this code or could it still be both that I fried?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Most likely you fried the ESC and it's misinterpreting what the motor is telling it. I've seen ESC's and batteries fried from hooking up the battery backwards but not a pass-through effect all the way to the motor and only the motor.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lbenton
As a rule it is not something to try, but if you do there is a more than good chance you will ruin the ESC and the battery may not be happy with you either. The one time I did I only blew a solder joint to the ESC loose, did not seem to have any real damage. So you can get lucky.

But as a rule, if you let the smoke out of something you can not put it back in...
Simply a matter of having the correct equipment.

NOS Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke Kit

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Initiate

First thing you will fry is the capacitor in the ESC. If you had reverse it and the ESC keep cutting off when you apply the throttle. Change the capacitor first. If you see the magic smoke than forget it. Just go buy a new ESC.....