Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Pre starting guide for long tterm stored cars? >

Pre starting guide for long tterm stored cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre starting guide for long tterm stored cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Pre starting guide for long tterm stored cars?

For a nitro that was stored properly but not ran in a year or so, what would you go about checking before attepting to run.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

New plug. New fuel. New lines. Richen the tune.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

good to know tank was empty when stored so not sure if new lines will need changed looks great
Originally Posted by Hoese37
New plug. New fuel. New lines. Richen the tune.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

After a year of just sitting i would still change out the lines, just to be safe.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

It really frustrates me when I want to run my RC and the engine is just not responding because I have not maintained it well or neglected cleaning. Your engine mingt not responding to tuning, or not starting at all which is really frustrating.

I would a complete engine rebuild. Remove carb, piston sleeve, piston back plate, everything just to be sure. Some of the after run oil or oil residue from the fuel might need cleaning out.

If you don't the engine might be a nightmare to tune or might not start at all because you did not pot the problem ahead of time (oil residue, worn o-ring, etc) and replace it.

If you do on the other hand you will know that all is well with your engine or you will enjoy your RC.

Are you comfortable doing an entire engine rebuild?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default stored engine re-start

I work on a lot of older stuff from time to time. The latest being an original Kyosho Impacta Mint from '98 with the original engine that was just ran and tossed into a corner when it broke in '99.

I prefer to pull the plug and air cleaner, drop some fresh fuel on top of the piston and in the carb as well as in the tank and let it sit for a few minutes to free up and residual oil that was left from sitting. Turn the crank over by hand to free everything up. Change the fuel lines and reset the high speed needle.

Then I will typically use the pressure line to "blow" fuel into the carb to make sure there are no blockages. If all goes well and everything looks good, new plug and commence to starting.