Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? New to this...

Hello guys ! ( sorry for my english, i'll do my best )

For my first RC car, i didn't want to put a lot of money on it. So i buyed a HSP 1/10 rc drift car. I take it on ebay ; [w]ww.ebay[DOT]com/itm/NEW-RADIO-REMOTE-CONTROL-RTR-1-10-2-4G-ELECTRIC-RC-DRIFT-CAR-/161082947205?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item25 814ab685

I just want to drift in the street with my friend, nothing more, nothing less.
My friend have a vaterra rc car with a 540 engine with a Nimh battery. And it takes like 2hour to charge his battery for like 15 minutes drifting. Which is ridiculous. I do some research and i find that LiPo battery is charging very fast and you can drive it a very long time. My question is, can i put LiPo battery with a brushed motor ? If not, can i change this motor for a brushless one ?
Which battery or motor will be compatible with it ?
I am new to RC so i don't know how to change motor and all this stuff.

Thanks a lot !!

Max
Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I can't find much information about the ESC that's in your car. In general, LiPo has nothing to do with brushed/brushless, but it has everything to do with the ESC. You can definitely run a LiPo battery with a brushed motor if you have a LiPo-compatible ESC. So, you may ask, what makes an ESC LiPo compatible? Couple of things, but mainly having a LiPo voltage cut-off, so that the ESC doesn't let you fully drain the LiPo battery, and being able to handle LiPo voltages (7.4 volts for 2S, 11.1 for 3S).

So, step one for you is to figure out if your ESC can handle a LiPo. If it can, great, if not, you'll need a new ESC that can.

A brushed motor is OK, but it's pretty inefficient and harder to maintain. So, even a cheap brushless motor would be good for drifting. However, don't go crazy on kV ratings, you actually want something with more "torque" for drifting, as far as I understand it. So.. sensorless motors with lower kV ratings (such as 2400kV, etc.), or sensored motors in the 17.5 - 13.5 turn range, I'd guess.

Which brings up the topic of sensored vs sensorless. I'd say go sensored, as that gives you more precise throttle control, but it also means you'll need an ESC that can handle sensored brushless motors. So, your costs start adding up.

Not sure if any of this helps, but try to search for and read about the above topics, it should give you a starting point.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Go sensored, only sensored. Sensorless sucks for drifting. There is no finer throttle control at lower revs. Just cogging, compared to sensored
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello ! First of all, thanks for your fast reply.

So.... can i change my motor for a brushless ? Is it difficult ?
Which brushless motor is compatible ?

I will receive my RC tomorrow so i will check for the ESC !
Brushless sensored motor... do you have any example that fit with my car ? :/ Like i said, i'm starting in RC so i did a lot of research but i continue to have a lot of question !

Thanks a lot !!!

Max
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by max220
Hello ! First of all, thanks for your fast reply.

So.... can i change my motor for a brushless ? Is it difficult ?
Which brushless motor is compatible ?

I will receive my RC tomorrow so i will check for the ESC !
Brushless sensored motor... do you have any example that fit with my car ? :/ Like i said, i'm starting in RC so i did a lot of research but i continue to have a lot of question !

Thanks a lot !!!

Max
Swapping motors is only as difficult as actually taking the old motor out and putting the new one in. On some cars it's much easier than others. You'll then have to solder the wires on, etc. It may seem intimidating at first, but it's actually not too bad once you do it one time.

Like I said above, though, you fist have to make sure you have an ESC that can handle brushless motors, and sensored ones at that.

Here is a set of 540-size sensored motors, just choose your winding (17.5, 13.5, etc.): http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...hless-Sensored
Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I sugest checking over at driftmission.com, those guys will give u some in depth insight on exactly what u will need for what application u want to use it with, there are alot of japanese and guys from other countrys......but to go a little into it, as was mentioned a sensored setup is very good if u are into rwd, and CS drifting, but with the plain ole 50/50 a simple castle sidewinder, or HOBBYKING setup will do, drifting also has alot to do with setup of the chassis as well, but that's another story lol, anywho I sugest a 10t 9.5t or even a 8.5..... Anything more is overkill, and anything under is just gonna be boring
Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Alright !!!

Tomorrow i will receive it so i'll check it out !

Thanks a lot guys !! I really appreciate it !!

Max