Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
help setting up my b4.2 for a new track >

help setting up my b4.2 for a new track

help setting up my b4.2 for a new track

Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default help setting up my b4.2 for a new track

I tried asking this in the b4.2 thread and got no answer. I thought I might have a better chance here.

I have been running my b4.2 in blinky bone stock, and just replacing what needs to be replaced when worn. I was driving on a sandy track, and had better traction than most with barcodes, and I would change compounds and wear depending on how much of the track was packed. Well now we have a clay track, its pretty damp, and turns most treads like you are running slicks after a few laps. There was also loose clay on the top. This track is 1/8th scale, with 2 long straights I can open up on.

My issue is with on power steering, I know part of it is tires and the other part is setup. can someone point me to either a good setup sheet for a track like this, or offer up some advice on where to start. I really need advice on what kind of tires. I tried barcodes, ghosted codes, calibers, rips, and ribs, also tried soft and super soft codes in front, and none of them seemed to hook up. Well the calibers did better than the bar codes.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If it's a clay-based track, did you try the clay oriented-compounds? Since you mentioned soft and super-soft compounds, you should be aware that those often have the issue of folding up or deforming when used on actual clay.

I would first try these tires up front: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Buggy-Tires-2
IMO, buggy setup is at least 80% tires. You should probably match those with a similar set of rears in MC at the same time.

Then, failing that, I would look at actual setup. On-power steering can be achieved two ways. I would, for 17.5/blinky on a very large track look at getting more of it by loosening up the rear first. For example, reducing rear toe-in would both add steering and make the car a touch faster on the long straights as a bonus followed by just general stiffening of the rear oil/springs. However, if you don't have any rear bite to spare, I'd start stuffing weight in the front end. But, definitely start with the tires.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MarkA
If it's a clay-based track, did you try the clay oriented-compounds? Since you mentioned soft and super-soft compounds, you should be aware that those often have the issue of folding up or deforming when used on actual clay.

I would first try these tires up front: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Buggy-Tires-2
IMO, buggy setup is at least 80% tires. You should probably match those with a similar set of rears in MC at the same time.

Then, failing that, I would look at actual setup. On-power steering can be achieved two ways. I would, for 17.5/blinky on a very large track look at getting more of it by loosening up the rear first. For example, reducing rear toe-in would both add steering and make the car a touch faster on the long straights as a bonus followed by just general stiffening of the rear oil/springs. However, if you don't have any rear bite to spare, I'd start stuffing weight in the front end. But, definitely start with the tires.
I just wanted to say thanks for the in-depth reply it was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Take a look at some pro setups might be very helpful.
http://www.teamassociated.com/setupsheets/RC10B4.2/
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The kit setup is not bad. I ran it on indoor clay while the buggy was breaking in. I ran kit setup for 2 weeks before making a single change and did not have many complaints. Can't tune anything if you dont have the right tires. Check with fast guys at your track and see what tires they are running.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I run a b4.1 FT on a track similar to what you describe as your clay track. I have JCon groovies in front, and Jcon GooseBumps in rear. I think they hook up great with the supersoft compound. Some other guys run ProLine bowties and say they work great.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chevmaro
The kit setup is not bad. I ran it on indoor clay while the buggy was breaking in. I ran kit setup for 2 weeks before making a single change and did not have many complaints. Can't tune anything if you dont have the right tires. Check with fast guys at your track and see what tires they are running.

The track I am running on is still being built. The acers come out on weekends and I work those days. My only option is posting here and see what you all recommend.