Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Motors and ESCs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default Brushless Motors and ESCs

Hi all.

I am new to the whole brushless thing. I have been looking around at some of the various setups out there, but damn are they expensive. Anyway, the cost is making me think of going used. However, I have noticed that there are often times motors for sale without the ESC and vice versa. Back in the old days, you just hooked your brushed motor up to the ESC and you were off. Now, with everything so tightly integrated, I am assuming that no longer applies. Is that true? If you buy an LRP ESC, do you need the LRP motor, or is it possible to mix and match between manufacturers? Can I stick a Tekin on a Novak or would that cause the universe to divide by 0? Any info would be great.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Most brushless ESCs will work with most brushless motors, regardless of brand.
I say most because there are a few exceptions based on super high RPM (or perceived RPM to the ESC when dealing with 4 pole or 6 pole motors). The other thing to watch out for is to make sure the ESC you get can handle motors as powerful as you want to go.

For example, most companies have a cheap ESC that handles stock level stuff (17.5, 13.5), then a normal ESC that handles down into the 8.5 or 7.5 range, and then a pro version that handles the super low turn touring car motors and/or short course level amps.

Also important is to try and match up a sensored motor with a sensored ESC. Most will work sensorless if one is missing the sensor, but it'll work a lot more smoothly in a sensored setup (but generally be cheaper if neither are designed for sensored use).
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out brushlesshobbies.com they have ESC for about $55. I have two of them and have not had any issues. You can also search this site for reviews and info on them.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

speed passion has a stock spec for around $100 for motor and esc. I had it for a while before upgrading to other stuff as I could afford them. Ran pretty good, but I noticed the difference with the upgrades, specially the esc.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Default ?Sensored/Sensorless?

Will a sensorless ESC Run a sensored motor?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

If you're worried about cost, get one of these...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
With
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

With one of these...

17.5 -http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28138
10.5 -http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=42462
(Or whatever turn motor you want)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

They dont have to be expensive.

Im getting back into the hobby after a 6 year break and i need new equipment.

if you go with the lower end stuff like speed passion or hobbywing. you can get esc's for about 50bucks.

Hobbywing sells a combo where you get a motor, esc and the programming card for about 120.

Just stop by your local hobbystore and see what they have. in my mind its always best to buy locally. then if you have an issue you can take it back and have them either do your warranty wrork for you or help you if your having trouble.

But yes. most sensorless esc's can run both types of motors. but you will be losing the advantage that a sensor bassed unit gives you. because when running a sensored motor on a sensorless esc you bypass the sensor board

A sensored motor has a small board in it that tells the esc the position of the rotor so that the esc knows what coil to fire next. this is great for low speed driving.

A sensorless motor doesent know where the coil is so it just fires the next coil from the last it fired. Normally you will never run into a problem but sometimes when driving at low speed you will encouter "cogging" where the ESC fires the wrong coil and the motor tries to spin the wrong way.

Anyways sorry about the novel. but i hope it helped. point im trying to make is if you just want a bare bones esc and you dont care that it will run a 3 turn motor and has boosted software they can be had complete setup for about 100 bucks.

Good Luck
Sean
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Initiate

The best deals are often in the for sale section of this forum!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I would also reccomend looking at Tacon motors. Cheap with great reviews.