Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to the hobby...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Returning to the hobby...

Didn't want to make this post in the noob thread cos I'll hopefully update it later with some pictures of my past and present collection

I'm Chris, 24 and living in the UK. My interest in RC began when I turned 16 and I began working for a local hobby shop. I'd had an interest before but never had my own money, so this revelation and a healthy 20% discount meant I soon became very active on forums etc!

I got very much into drifting, competed in 2 events in the UK but found travelling between events was difficult and I eventually lost interest altogether when I got my driving license and began working on 1:1 cars.

Since then I have boxed my entire collection up, started a family of my own and only very recently have I started opening those boxes I taped up ~5-6 years ago.

My collection consists/consisted of the following:

TT01s x 5 (various states of tune, one I think is bone-stock)
TL01s x 3 (2 now sold, sadly, proper old-skool though!)
F103GT
F103GT w/ 3Racing silver graphite chassis conversion
M-04M (now sold)
M-03 (now sold)
M-03R (still have this, in the middle of painting a bodyshell...)
DF-03 x 2 (one sold, the other I have only just made)
Double Blaze (missing bodyshell!)
Blackfoot Extreme (now sold)
CC-01 (now sold, regrettably!)
TA-03R w/FRP conversion and YeahRacing suspension upgrade (got the carbon plates, not sure whether to keep or sell)
TA-03F w/FRP conversion, heavily modified
TA-03R-S w/carbon conversion (this is my baby!)
TA-05 w/ltd edition clear blue parts
TA-05R with most upgrades (this is probably my best chassis)
TA-05MS (now sold)

There may be others, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head!

As you have probably worked out, I worked at a Tamiya retailers. The TA03 chassis' are where I put most of my money, as the TA03F chassis was identified as one of the best drifters. I built my 'F' from nothing, gathering parts and hop-ups from the shop where I worked, RCMart, eBay and Asiatees. Typically by the time I had finished building the competition chassis up, the TA03F was outlawed from UK Drift championships

This only helped ruin the hobby for me, a last-ditch attempt at putting money into a TA05R helped me secure 2nd at one round, but I gave up shortly after and put the (then very expensive) 2.4Ghz system down.

I've not kept up with the hobby at all and I must admit reading back through everything is really interesting. Tamiya now have the TA06, I have lots of questions about this, there is supposedly a TT02 too?!

I've just blown £45 at Banzai hobby and another £40 with my previous employer, so hope to put up some progress pictures soon.

- Is there a thread of finished bodyshells / realistic drift cars? I've looked and can't find anything.

Hopefully all of that isn't too overwhelming, I'll try to post some pictures when I'm next online...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome back.

You'll find there are some other forums out there that are more dedicated to drifting than here. There's a few drift threads in the electric onroad section that you could probably dig up, but RCTech tends to be far more racing oriented.