Wiki Posts
Search

Two questions after first run. RC10T4.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Two questions after first run. RC10T4.1

hello everyone..

I just had a chance to have my first run with my new RC10T4.1.
Was wondering about two things.

1. I used 8 fully charged NiMH 2000mAh AA batteries of the same brand/specs/age in the radio and in 20min the radio battery level was down to low. Infact, if I remember correctly just after charging them and putting them in the radio it still only said "MID".

Any ideas on whats going on here?

2. I'm not sure if its just my imagination but I noticed the motor sounded different about half way through my 25-30 min run. More whiny/high pitched?

Any thought?

Thank you very much for any help.. I'm still very much a noob but have learned so much in the last two weeks or so while researching this purchase. I look forward to helping out the community in the future!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have not had much luck at all in the past with rechargeable AA's in r/c radios. They do not have as much voltage fully charged as off the shelf throw away batteries, and they fall off/crash very quickly, without much warning. You could be reading a half charge and then 2-3 min into your hear or main they fall flat and your crossing your fingers that they will just hang in there for a few more minutes.
I suggest just spending $5-$6 dollars on some Duracell or Energizers and leave the rechargeables in the tv remote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah AA nimh can be flaky. I’ve had much better results with the Low Self Discharge type, sometimes called Ready To Use. Sanyo Eneloops are usually considered the best, but I’ve had good luck with the reasonably priced Tenergy version.

How are you charging them, charger and amps? A peak detect charger that does each separately can help, instead of charging them as a pack.

Do you have any way to check the voltage of each cell soon after the radio runs down? You could weed out the weak ones if you have more cells to replace them with.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmmm, interesting. lol.

Those are actually the kind of battery i'm using. HR-3UTG 1.2v eneloop's.
The charger i'm using is MH-C204f. I believe it charges in sets of two.
(I would post links but my post count is too low)

I started a charge cycle on four of them 5 hours ago(after the run) and its still in the discharge mode, so they must have been pretty full.
I just checked the voltage on the four remaining and they were about 1.3v each.

I'm just wondering if I should just by a pack for the radio.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Perhaps do a range check with the radio reading low. In a big clear area see how far you can go before losing control, see if it's far enough for comfort. I've had rechargeables in the red on a 8 cell radio before and it still worked fine. No guarantees of course, but might be worth checking, may be OK.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OP: you may want to check your pinion/spur gear mesh. my motor adjustment screws came loose not long after taking it out for the first time. Id say maybe 2 packs into the new truck. put a little blue lock tight or nail polish on the screws when you put them back in...should help keep them in.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Functional
OP: you may want to check your pinion/spur gear mesh. my motor adjustment screws came loose not long after taking it out for the first time. Id say maybe 2 packs into the new truck. put a little blue lock tight or nail polish on the screws when you put them back in...should help keep them in.
Hey thanks for the tip/heads up.

I took a look at it.. (picture attached)
As I'm a noob I don't really want re-mesh it hastily without someone with some experience advising it needing to be done.
So... what do you guys think? pinion/spur mesh look ok? And is that picture a good benchmark to use for future checks?

side-note: I'm assuming those two screws are the adjusting screws that holds the motor?
Attached Thumbnails Two questions after first run. RC10T4.1-photo.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Looks pretty good.