Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting into the hobby and..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default getting into the hobby and..

Hey all im really looking into getting into the hobby and have been looking around at the slash rally type truck but want you get your guys toughts on the best truck for me I dont mind tinkering around with it and I really am hoping I get to thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hidequick
Hey all im really looking into getting into the hobby and have been looking around at the slash rally type truck but want you get your guys toughts on the best truck for me I dont mind tinkering around with it and I really am hoping I get to thanks
Do you plan on going to a track and competing in races? Or do you just plan to have fun in the street or an open lot or whatever?

If it's just for fun, anything from Traxxas will be perfect for you. They are the king of backyard bashers.

If you want to race, what you want to do is find a local R/C track and find out when the next race is. Go out for the night or afternoon or whatever there. Find out which style of vehicle you like. It might be short course, or 2wd, or 4wd. Who knows. But after a few races something will catch your eye. Now, go find out what brand and model everyone seems to be running. Don't be afraid to ask around in the pits. People love to brag about their setups and help new folks. Buy whatever brand and model is most popular. It will probably be different from track to track. But, This will make sure you have someone who knows about your ride and can answer any question that might come up. They've already been there before and they can answer it. It also means you'll have people around you that can help you set it up to be competitive. It also means there will be spare parts around if something should break and you can get back to racing quickly. And as people make upgrades, it will mean more second hand (cheap) upgrades available to you.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

I have no intentions of going into the whole racing thing but i do want to be able to mess around with stuff and what not (tuning) and get my hands dirty! will traxxas do this for me?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

definately , traxxas is tough and durable along with there are tons of upgrades for them . good luck
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stunter38
definately , traxxas is tough and durable along with there are tons of upgrades for them . good luck
+1 agreed, if your not racing then traxxas is #1 id say associated is always a good option as well though but more suited towards racing in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sounds like the right choice for you, traxxas parts are everywhere which is def the key to having fun in this hobby. I'd double check with your local hobby shop to see what brands they carry though.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Get a Traxxas Slash 4x4.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

And honestly, even if you do plan to race at some point down the road, the Traxxas would be more than capable of doing so. There is a lot of people at the local level racing Traxxas trucks
Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

A brushless traxxas slash 2wd or 4wd would be a great basher.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
They are the king of backyard bashers.
Yep can't go wrong! Parts are easy to get easy to install and a ton of info out there are anything you'll run into.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Started with a 4x4 slash here for backyard playing bashing. Since then we moved to an area with a track so the Slash's are gone and we have a mess of team associated SC10's.