Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to everything RC, Have a question on beginner kit. >

New to everything RC, Have a question on beginner kit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to everything RC, Have a question on beginner kit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to everything RC, Have a question on beginner kit.

Hi everyone! Like said above, I have almost no experience with anything R/C, except for an old Xmods from Radio Shack I had quite a few years ago. I am looking into getting a drifting/street car that doesn't break the bank. I just want something to play with at car meets and drift in parking lots. I am particularly drawn to the Tamiya TT-01D as a starter/base car.
So here's what I'm asking. Is there anything wrong with this brand or model? And would I be fine finding additional bodies and parts? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Personally (as in just my own opinion) I am not a big fan of the TT01. From what I have seen (people at the track bringing them out) they are not very durable, use special pitch spurs, and not a lot of places stock parts for them (at least local hobby shops here).

For a beginner car, if you want RTR I'd consider an HPI Sprint or TC4. If you want the enjoyment of a kit, I would lean towards again the TC4, or some of the new budget chassis options from Spec-R or 3Racing. The RTR is going to be the cheapest option, but will be farther away from something you could race with (if you choose to down the road) as RTR electronics is not usually in spec for any class.

Probably best to see what spare parts your LHS has and use that to help make your decision.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

As far as drifting goes, there are no restrictions. Mainly to start off with your really only going to be changing the wheels and tires. Drifting seems to be more durable in the fact that you typically aren't going full speed at any given time. I own a Hot Bodies TC-FD kit and love it....the only problem is the fact that it's a carbon fiber chassis. I don't really want to take it outside to play. Even with a chassis protector it freaks me out.

Anyway, +1 for the HPI Sprint or the TA tc4. I've owned a TC3 before and it's a great chassis. The good thing about team associated cars is that the majority of the time the hobby shop will alway carry parts for the vehicle. If not associated parts are alway easy to order in from any local hobby shop. Hpi seems to be going through a transition of ownership and is a little bit harder to get a hold of right now.

In terms of drifting any of the cars mentioned above:
TT01- Easy to drift very neutral in handling.

Sprint 2 Drift - Easy to drift, tends to want to drive more like it has rubber tires than sliding around. Has the ability to incorporate counter steering style because of the belt system.

TA TC4 - Not as easy to drift because of the weight distribution of the car as a whole. Since most of the weight is shifted to the back the car will seem sluggish in switch backs. This isn't a problem, just a different style that you need to adjust for.

Sorry I can't be much help in terms of actual touring cars and carpet racing, but I do know drifting, so if you have any questions be sure to post them.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies, guys. After a bit more research, I think I'm steering away from the TT-01 platform. But I have also heard not-so-spectacular things about HPI. I really like the TC4, but it's a bit out of my price range, at least for a starter car. Now I'm probably going to decide between the HPI Sprint 2 and the Tamiya TB03 (not drift spec).
And another noob question: would all 190/200mm bodies fit on any 190 chassis? Or are they brand specific?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tech_vance53
Thanks for the replies, guys. After a bit more research, I think I'm steering away from the TT-01 platform. But I have also heard not-so-spectacular things about HPI. I really like the TC4, but it's a bit out of my price range, at least for a starter car. Now I'm probably going to decide between the HPI Sprint 2 and the Tamiya TB03 (not drift spec).
And another noob question: would all 190/200mm bodies fit on any 190 chassis? Or are they brand specific?
Bodies are not usually brand specific. Almost all 190 and 200mm bodies will fit a 190mm TC chassis. Some exceptions are the Tamiya bodies that are designed for IFS chassis (internal cantilever shocks) and some shells designed just for pan cars. In these cases you might just not be able to mount the shell low enough to look right. Also note that most 200mm shells usually require offset wheels to look right.

If you trim and mount your shell before painting it, you'll have the best luck getting the shell to fit as well as possible.