Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help need advise with wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help need advise with wiring.

I have just bought a brand new esc and motor not thinking about the fine details and i ran into some issues with the connection. the motor has 3 4mm bullet connectors and my esc has 3 3mm connectors. so i want to know if i can take the female ends the motor came with and soder some wire to it then soder the other ends directly to the 3mm connectors on the esc and plug it togther that way.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave101
I have just bought a brand new esc and motor not thinking about the fine details and i ran into some issues with the connection. the motor has 3 4mm bullet connectors and my esc has 3 3mm connectors. so i want to know if i can take the female ends the motor came with and soder some wire to it then soder the other ends directly to the 3mm connectors on the esc and plug it togther that way.
im not fully understanding what you want to do ???

if i were you (this is just my opinion) i would just get rid of the bullet connectors all together and solder directly option 2: get the right size connector and solder to the motor or esc which ever size you want too stick with.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Beware though, some motor companies design their motors with the motor coil actually extending all the way out to the bullet connectors. For example, Castle Creations and Traxxas have these specifications. That's why they say "do not cut the motor wires".

If you remove the bullet connectors from the motor then do it correctly without cutting the wires. You should be able to just apply heat to the connector, maybe add some solder to help with the heat, and it should come off relatively easy.

Or if you don't want to worry about that you should be able to cut the speed control wires and solder new connectors on easily without any harm.

Hope this helps and clears some things up.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Well its a tacon motor so the wires are a part of the coil. and i don't like the idea of cutting the esc wires so i wanted to just make an adapter using the extra female ends that came with the motor but i am not sure if i can just soder wires to the extra connectors then soder the ends of thos wires to the esc's 3 mm connector.

Also thanks for the advice.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave101
Well its a tacon motor so the wires are a part of the coil. and i don't like the idea of cutting the esc wires so i wanted to just make an adapter using the extra female ends that came with the motor but i am not sure if i can just soder wires to the extra connectors then soder the ends of thos wires to the esc's 3 mm connector.

Also thanks for the advice.
you can but thats a lot of places where a connection can go wrong, another idea is you could stack the bullet plugs on top of each other and put some solder in between with shrink tube or electrical tape around it, ive seen this done with castle systems.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just remove 4mm and solder 3 mm on thats all..
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

i am kinda against the idea of cuting the wires on the esc. also kinda scared that when i soder it i might damage the esc. Also do the length of the wires on the esc side have to be the same length like the motor? due to the fact the motors wires are part of the coil.