Smaller number of turns = faster motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smaller number of turns = faster motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Smaller number of turns = faster motor?

Is it the smaller the number of turns the better or vice versa?

If a motor dosent have any stickers or markings on it, is there a way to tell how many turns it has?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

yes and yes there is usally a marking on the inside of the motor too
Old 04-24-2005, 08:42 AM
GRF
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Superkidracer82
yes and yes there is usally a marking on the inside of the motor too
Yes, the marking is on the armature core...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Tech Initiate

thank you...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Lower turns isn't always better, especially for newer racers. Lower turns will give more power. Yes. But faster isn't always better. I race modified at a pretty high level and I will usually run an 8x1 most of the time. I do pull out the 7's from time to time but they're not allways needed. One other thing to remeber is the winds. You can have an 8x1 (8 Single) or an 8x2 (8 double) and have quite different power bands. Single usually give more snap coming out of the corners, good for higher grip racing like Modified Touring cars. Double, tripples etc... will give a more smooth bottom end with a little more top end. Good for low grip racing like off road.

The wind is how many strands of wire are used. An 8 turn motor has wire wrapped around each pole eight times. A single wind has one strand of wire, a double has two. Double, triples, etc. will usually use a smaller gauge wire than a single.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor

Arent there some big drawbacks to racing such a low turn motor such as a 7 or 8 turn motor especially for a new racer like myself. I want killer speed(something that will keep up with all the gas vehicles at my local track since thats the big thing) but I want something that is practical with pretty good run times on a 3300 battery. I dont mind maintaining a motor but I dont want to have to replace the damn brushes or do the comm cutting after only a couple of runs which running a 7 turn motor would prob require. Im thinking maybe a good 10-12 turn handwound motor would be pretty goood choice.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Even most 10 turn motors you're going to need to cut the motor every one or two runs. Other than that, the biggest drawback to a novice racer having that much speed is they're fast and not easy to control. I know guys who have been racing for years and don't want to try modified because of the power. It takes a different driving style to run modified. You have to be very smooth on and off the throttle to make run time and not burn up the motor in less than 5 minutes. And it's very hard on your batteries. 3300's will get about 10-15 runs on a pack before you start seeing a drop in runtime. If you want some more speed, I'd suggest you strap in a 19 turn. You get more speed than stock motors but you'll get about the same life out of brushes etc. as a stock motor, maybe a little less.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey Jon, I was running a 19t Reedy this weekend and I used Reedy 767, my comm was pretty burnt after every run .
I had to cut it for every run is this common?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

That motor for me has always needed to be cut every run. I think the big reason being that in order for it to be fast it has to be geared to the moon and that get's it hot. Plus if you were at the JBRL race in Hesperia this weekend, the added heat will make it even worse. C2's I could go about 4 runs before really needing to cut. But at competitive races, I cut the motor every run no matter what.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

great thanks for the info