Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Rookie Question >

Rookie Question

Rookie Question

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Rookie Question

So, I'm extremely new to hobby and i'm looking to get my first buggy/sct. I have $600 to spend on the vehicle. The RTRs make the most sense, however, a kit sounds exciting. I want to be able to upgrade when the time comes, so access to addons/mods is a must. Here are my questions. One, should i go RTR or Kit. second, Im good with following instruction, will i be able to build a kit? Third what should i get?!!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Do you jump into things head first or feet first? Head first, get a kit. Anyone good with instructions and patience can build a kit.

If you intend to race, check out a local track to see what most others are running. You'll get a lot more help if people are familiar with your car.

With your budget, I'd buy used from this board. There are tons on deals here. Figure out what type of car you want first though. Take it apart and rebuild it once you get it to understand the construction.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I agree with shagino. Step 1 is always to go to the local track. Find out what class has the most people. Find out what brands all those people run and what the local hobby shop stocks. Buy that.

You want to be able to race with a large group. It's just more fun. Plus, as you get better, you'll move up in the standings and that feels really good. If you buy the brand everyone else has, everyone there will know how to setup your car. That helps a ton. Being able to get good advice and setup help will make the sport a lot more fun. When you break on race day (and you will eventually) it helps to be able to buy a part on the spot so you can keep racing. It's terrible when you break and you're out for the day because you bought some brand that no one stocks and you have to buy parts online. Also, tires are the most important part of any setup. Ask around the track and see what hooks up best. Buy those tires. You'll have so much of an easier time getting good at racing if you have the right tires.

So go to the track. See what you like. Watch for a whole night. Volunteer to turn marshall. By the end of the night you'll have a good feel.

As far as building a kit vs RTR.... I'm in favor of the kit. You'll know a lot more about how to tune and fix your car if you already built it once. If you can easily build ikea furniture, you can build an RC car. You'll spend a bit more this way though. An RTR will get you running right away and you can always upgrade it as you go.

If you just want to bash in the street and have fun in the backyard, you can't go wrong with a Traxxas Slash.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Revo 3.3

i have the revo 3.3 and there are tons of upgrades. plus its fun but not to challenging, also if u upgrade your truck you will get the same experience of getting to know your vehicle.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

IMO it's more fun to get out and bash on something that you don't have hours upon hours of build time invested in.

I "built" a Tamiya Pre-Runner...and was always afraid I would hurt something on it.
The T-Maxx...not so much.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Definitely see what is popular at the track if you want to race. If you are hands on, and have serious interest in sticking with the hobby, I say get a kit. It will also make you familiar with the vehicle when it comes time to fix/replace broken parts.