Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Newby with an older car, tamiya blazing star. >

Newby with an older car, tamiya blazing star.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newby with an older car, tamiya blazing star.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Newby with an older car, tamiya blazing star.

Hi guys and girls.

Just got given a Tamiya Blazing star. Same as the Manta Ray, and Dirt Thrasher.

It's it decent but rough condition.
The guy that put it together did it pretty bad, 1 front spring is on the rear, the rear is on the front, both front tires were pointing in different directions, wire is just jammed in.

So she needs some lovin.

I'm going to strip her, full clean, and reassemble...

BUT as usual, upgrades are needed! It's quick- ish... With the 'sport tuned' rs540. But it's just not enough..

Now, I'm pretty new to this world so go easy on me.

It's just a basher, something to keep me entertained and something for the dogs to chase.

So what upgrades should I put in it? Want to keep it cheap as possible.

I know I need a new ESC to replace the crap mechanical one. And a new motor obviously.
Can I keep the 27mghz radio with a modern esc?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm thinking something around the 11-12 turn mark?
Or will that be too powerful for it?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Being tamiya I assume it has metal bushings? That's the first thing to change. Put bearings in it. The 27 will work fine for what it sounds like you doing. I would go with something like a 15 to 19 turn with an appropriate esc to go with.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Suspended

I would leave the bushing.. just put a drop of Zmax on them as for motor theres a mess of 20T on the market u can buy cheap.. have fun had this way back when..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Bud
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hotrod87
Being tamiya I assume it has metal bushings? That's the first thing to change. Put bearings in it. The 27 will work fine for what it sounds like you doing. I would go with something like a 15 to 19 turn with an appropriate esc to go with.
+1 Put bearings in it if they're not already there. Bushings get sloppy real fast. almost any motor will be faster than the stock 540rs.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Check out tower hobbies for a Futaba MC230CR speed control ($50) along with a Duratrax Photon2 20T motor ($12) (both will work just fine with any era AM radio). A set of bearings - google for Avid bearings, they sell nice bearings cheap - you'll just need to know the sizes.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey there..

My advice would be to buy a Hobbywing Brushless Combo.. This will come with motor and esc and the maintenance is nil.. Check out ebay.. they are pretty cheap.
For what your using it for a small 35A would be sufficient.. 60A if you want to run warmer motors.. 120A is way too much for that tamiya to handle

EZRUN - is the cheap version that is simply plug and play. Go the 9T version.
XERUN - is the racing version with programming abilities. These use a sensored motor for better control. Get one of these only if you intend racing in the future.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys. Sorry for never replying. Real world got in the way.

Been playing with the blazing star as is, but with a 'sport tuned' rs540.
It's faster ten the stock motor, but still pretty slow.

Took it down the beach on the weekend, and drove through a tiny runoff that wasn't so tiny and dunked the car In about 3 inches of water. She quickly stopped dead..

After testing it seems the ESC is dead. I get normal response from the Rx, switching the steering servo to the motor output of the rx, the steering moves with 'throttle' input. So both channels are fine.

So a new motor and esc will be dropped in, along with some more reliable parts.
I've already cracked the plastic engine mount. And the bushes are flogged.
So metal engine mount, and full bearings are going in, hopefully with a alloy main shaft and new drive shafts all round.

Hopefully start the rebuild in a week or 2.

My main drive shafts have a small amount of rust on them.
How can I stop the rust from forming? Is there alloy driveshafts I can get or something?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

i've got a dirt thrasher and used to own a manta ray.

bearings, first and foremost
alloy motor mount
dog bones / drive shafts (the tamiya dt02 dog bones work great and are cheap) you can go with universal drive shafts but they are getting to be hard to find and expensive.
yeah racing center drive shaft

that's really all it needs, sure you could add adjustable tie rods / turnbuckles and alloy shocks, but those old yellow shocks from tamiya work pretty well, just rebuild them.

after every run check the screws, they tend to come loose. check the car over, you'll find some that loosen up, mainly the step screws that hold the upper tie bars on.

the motor you have, the black can sport tuned, is actually a pretty good little motor. yours may be tired. they are cheap, get a new one. or go brushless. a 17.5 brushless motor is all that car needs.

don't use alloy drive shafts, steel is best. the tamiya dt02 units drop right in and are coated steel. you need 2 pair.