Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Started?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Getting Started?

Alrighty, looking to get started in R/C cars.. but I dunno where to start in general..

Suggestions on what to purchase? Where? etc..

I'm not on a strict budget, but dont wannt go spending more then $2-300 just yet (hell, I dunno what these vehicles cost)..

So either post here, or catch me on AIM with some advice SmartTron2000 (ignore the away message)
Old 07-22-2002, 12:58 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Lets start here, What are you looking at starting in? Touring? Trucks? Electric? Nitro?

Give us something to work with.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Just in general.. preferably Nitro, unless that's advised against to get started..

I could really use a good explanation of all the different aspects of R/C and jsut a general idea beyond what I've seen of what I'm getting into..

I really dunno much about R/C.. so...
Old 07-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Onroad or offroad? Something strickly for bashing or that has racing capabilities?
Old 07-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Honestly, either or.. I'm leaning towards on road, but offroad would be fun as shit too, not going to be very picky about that..

Edit: the more I think about it, the more appealing offroad is.. I really think offroad is quite interesting looking..

Last edited by MrSmart; 07-22-2002 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Ok here are some things we need to know.

1 - Nitro or Electric (Ele less realistic but less work, Nitro realistic and loud but more work)
2 - RTR (ready to run, take it out of the box and run it) or Kit (you build)
3 - Small RC or a 1/10th or larger?
4 - Onroad, offroad or both?

Go to www.towerhobbies.com and just look at some of the types of cars you can get. Once you've decided what type you want we can help you out with the rest of it.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Ok here are some things we need to know.

1 - Nitro or Electric (Ele less realistic but less work, Nitro realistic and loud but more work) Either, prefer whichever has more power, if either..
2 - RTR (ready to run, take it out of the box and run it) or Kit (you build) RTR would be fine, prolly better for a n00b
3 - Small RC or a 1/10th or larger? I dunno, whatever is most common (?)
4 - Onroad, offroad or both? Offroad

Go to www.towerhobbies.com and just look at some of the types of cars you can get. Once you've decided what type you want we can help you out with the rest of it.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Rookie

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXSM51&P=0

Any good? Comments? I'm just looking, wont be buying for a month or so..
Old 07-22-2002, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro trucks arn't my strong point but I'll try and give you a basic run down.

The hpi rush is a 2wd nitro truck that would be fine for a beginner, it comes two ways prebuilt(you buy radio seperate) and RTR, you posted the RTR version. It is ment primarily for backyard bashing but could have potential on the race track if hopped-up(considerably), it comes with a pull start hpi .15Fe engine that has a single needle carb, it has moderate power for play and is newbie friendly.

Ok some alternatives, the XXX-NT sport RTR and the Associated GT PLUS RTR.

The XXX-NT is known world wide for being a great race truck, basically if you want to race in the future I'd go for this or the GT. It comes with a .15 engine that is close to the power of the race legal .12. Here's a link with lots of info. - http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...80&pc=LOSA0880

The Associated GT PLUS RTR is the upgraded version of the original GT RTR. It is a good truck and is also a solid platform to race off. If you look at buying this make sure it's the "Plus" kit and not someone trying to sell off there "old" GT RTR's which have less features. It comes with a .15 engine. Here's a link for info - http://www.rc10.com/shusting/Catalog...0GT_trucks.htm

If you intend to race in the future then either go for the GT or the XXX-NT, both have won alot of races and are a better option then the Rush. If you just want a cheap fun truck that your not going to race then the rush is probably more suited.

If your interested in other types of cars/trucks post them and I'll try and help on them too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-22-2002 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info.. any more input?

Also, I see you're in MD, I'm in Northern VA, do you know any local tracks?

-Smart
Old 07-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Read the manual properly is probably the best piece of advise I can give you.

As for tracks, I'm an onroad junkie but here's a site that should help.

WTF

Good luck.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-25-2002 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Damn you..

URL Removed for OBVIOUS reasons - TSR6
Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

WTF I'm terribble sorry, please edit your post and get rid of that, I was on the site yesterday and that's not the site.

Sorry

Please check your pm's MrSmart.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-25-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Ooooh, some nasty links on here eh?

well, my advice to you is that if you are going to get into nitro, lets your Local hobby shop do the tuning of the motor, its very easy for the novice to accidently set the carb too lean and blow your motor.

Starter boxes beat pullstarters Bar None! Pull starters will have you yanking constantly, dont do it! starter boxes are about 60 bucks, and a pull start motor weighs more than a non pull start, which is somethig to look at if you want to race.

Gas is a big deal too. when you first run the motor, use 10% nitro. after the first 5 or so tanks, move up to 20% nitro. this makes it a little less likley to blow your motor when tuning the Carb.

Get plenty of motor spray, or if you are on a budget go to auto zone and get brake cleaner, carb cleaner, or electric cleaner. this stuff is a couple bucks cheaper than the stuff at the hobbyshop and it works just as good, or better.

As for gas, dont go with off brand stuff. Experiment with O'donnel, Blue Thunder, and Trinity fuels. decide which one works better, and yes, you will be able to tell the difference. decide which is the best buy, which in my opinion is blue thunder.

If you plan on not playing with your car for a period of a 3 weeks or more, make sure your gas is in a cool dry place, especcially if its in the Gallon Bottles. Some say gas cant go bad, but if you were to leave the gas in the sun, you would notice heavy discoloration. LOL, ive seen it first hand, i left a brand new Bottle outside

Oh and if you havent got a car yet, i have a couple for sale. I have an RC10Gt and Losi XXXNT. Both are ready to go, and come with some fuel even. if you want one email me [email protected]

Happy rc'ing
Old 08-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

FIRST OF ALL, a good question to ask is How much money are you willing to spend?? Because Nitro are WAY more expensive than eletric. Trucks Are fun but they brake easily. I race eletric onroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.