Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-S competitive oval Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default XXX-S competitive oval Racing?

Hello all,

First of all this seems like a great forum, hence why i joined and will hopefully help me and I will get to a point where I can help others. I'm newly back into RC, haven't been in since way back in the early 80's I think. Owned a Fox and Assault Nitro back then. Currently getting back and will be doing some oval racing with a XXX-S. All the other cars are 10L4's etc 2wd. I will be limited to sportsman class (4 cell/stock motor) with this car but would at least like to be competitive. Currently I have a monster stock motor, 128T-64P spur and 31, 32t pinion. I have heard mixed comments that I will and will not be competitive. Any guidance (tires to run, pinion/spur combo etc) on how I can give the 2wd croud a race and make XXX-S 4WD land proud would be greatly appreciated. Link to the track is below for reference on size etc.

Oval Track

Thanks and look forward to the many hours of reading on this forum (started last night at 10:30 and didn't stop until 4:45 or so).

-Wav
Old 03-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you have to run 4 cells like the pancars you will get killed. Even if you are running six cell stock they will catch you in the corners so fast you will be in the way. If you want to run oval run the sedan in the sedan oval class or get a 10L3 or something cheap to get started with. good luck
Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

There is no 4wd/sedan class at this track. My two buddies run a 10L4 and a 10L3, I don't like the 2wd/nascar cars and got the XXX-S so I could basically do either on-road or oval. I suspected I will be slower than them but was hoping I could get some guidance on setting up a TC for oval as I'm new to 4wd. I just want to be as competative as I can be. I am sure there have been people like me who have run TC on oval, just hoped to get some guidance on stuff like I mentioned, tires and spur/pinion combos for oval. I am sure it would be an entirely different setup for on-road and I'll learn that when I locate an on-road track to race at but for now I'm on oval and would like to make the best of it.

Thanks

-Wav
Old 03-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default little help

I believe their have been some posts in the oval forum mentioning possible XXX-S setups, use the search function here and find those.

I think a starting point, might be to check www.teamlosi.com
and look at setup sheets for open asphalt tracks.

also look at the various guides and setup reccomendations of the XXX-S including that $20 book they sell at hobby shops and on Ebay about setting up touring cars,they will not talk about Oval specifically, but they will talk about what to do if your car oversteers or understeers, i.e. run your car at high speed and see which breaks free first the rear or the front.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I did see many of the posts for carpet and seemed they did not receive any information. I have looked at all the setup sheets on the losi site and I based my racing this past weekend on them and was to say the least unsuccessful. I continue to believe I am extremely under geared as traction was not a problem at all. 128/33 worked the best with the 128 spur but unsure if I should go to another which would work better. I did see one post mention the standard 88 spur so I might try that and elsewhere in between. Just hate to abuse my motor if there is someone who could point me in a good general direction.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Maybe this will help in my TC3 in run a 100 tooth(64 pitch) spur and a 26 tooth pinion, for on-road... with the oval I guess i would start at 27, 28 or maybe a 29 tooth pinion....???
Old 03-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank You, that actually in my mind will be a great place to start next. It's about in the middle of spur gears so I can determine which way to go in my tests.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Rookie

128/26 worked pretty well today. Was much quicker than all others I had tried (30,31,33,35). Motor stayed very cool so obviously I have more to go and faster to go but it's much quicker which is what I needed for the track I normally run. So for anyone else racing a short oval hopefully this info will help you out.

-Wav