Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World Ralley Car Kit Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Post World Ralley Car Kit Ideas

I am looking to get in RC Nitro as a hobby. The local hobby shop said I have to figure out if I want On Road or Off Road first because they do not cross over.

He also said that On Road is alsmost dead and here in Chicago there is only one On Road track. But there are many Off Road tracks around Chicago.

What I would love to have is a 1:8th World Rally Car. Something that is nitro, 4 wheel shaft drive and can do some off road. I'm talking about dirt, gravil, and tarmac. I am not expecting this to go thru tall grass, over large rocks, or anything like that.

I have seen some videos online so I went back to the hobby shop and the guy says it can't be done. That bodies for Subaru's, Lancia's, Citron's, and Mitsubishi's would NEVER fit on a buggies chassis. And that a On Road chassis can NEVER be modified to do any kind of off road.

I REALLY hate the looks of trucks and think doing a Nitro WRC is possable, so I'm hoping to get a second opinion here.

Any one have ideas?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The answer to your question: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System or http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio

However, some caveats. I've never seen an organized race for these type of cars. It probably does exist but it's rare so you're buying a car that will go around your yard and street and that's about it. As well, your neighbors may be less than happy with a Nitro car. If you can see your neighbors, the electric version like this may be a better idea. In fact, considering electric is now generally at least as fast as nitro and way cheaper over the long run (a battery will outlast your cost of fuel several times over) and won't make your house smell, that may definitely be a better idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

You are lucky my friend. Because of short course truck racing taking off...scale and dirt have become the new trend in r/c.

Since you are new into r/c you have to decide how much you want to spend first of all. Once you decide on a budget consider how long you plan on being in the hobby this will play a big factor later on. Things such as proper higher end radio systems, chargers, tools, nitro fuel, lipo batteries, and other accessories will save you money for years to come if you stay in the hobby for a long time.

I mention that because choosing nitro versus electric is a big step. There are several discussions on multiple forums on the pros/cons of each. Brushless electric models cost more up front due to quality lipo batteries and an advanced lipo charger. They seem to be the future of r/c being more powerful/faster than nitro and more user friendly.

Nitro may not be a good idea for a beginner unless you feel comfortable learning how to tune a nitro motor or you have someone with experience to help you tune.

With that being said...

HPI has released an 1/8 rally car for tarmac and loose dirt available in nitro and brushless electric (HPI WR8 3.0 or Flux). Downside is that both are a bit under powered. The chassis is essentially a longer modified version of HPI's 1/10 Bullet platform instead of from an 1/8 buggy...which also leads to 1/10 power plants (nitro or electric). Both versions run around $500 RTR (nitro or lipo batteries not included)

Nitro: http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106949/
Brushless: http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/109313/

Hope this helps!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is electric instead of Nitro, but it is 1/8 and you can get a couple parts to make it whatever kind of car you want. Worth watching the review in any case (and there is more driving footage of each conversion on the same channel if you're further interested).
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like you want an old Kyosho Landmax, Inferno GT, or the DX in the link above
They were 1/8 buggy based.
Maybe you can find one or some parts from one to adapt to a newer buggy.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you everyone for the input.

I am looking to spend 600 to 725 for the start of things.

I want to go with Nitro because I think I would enjoy it more in the long run. Also from what I have read going thru water and snow Nitro is the only way to go. Also I love the idea of tweeking, tuning, and adjusting. I use to work for Jeg's and Advance and love working with cars. Now that I am in Chicago and in an appartment I can not work on my real car. I love the flexabilaty of the electric one that Justpoet posted but would love to find a version in Nito.

With what everyone has posed above let me ask this question:

Because it looks like all the 1/8 rally cars are based off of a buggie, should I buy a buggie and then modify it to fit what I want? Or just buy one of the Rally out of the box.

What companies would be best for aftermarket parts, durabilaty, and longevity ?

Also looks like all the ones posted above are R2R. Anything in a kit?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

HPI also made that super nitro rally, and i thought Tamiya made a TGX rally car? also, theres the Ofna GTP cars which, IIRC, can use the Inferno GT bodies, if you can find one.

either way you've got two choices:

spend $400-500 on the HPI or Kyosho above
spend less money initally on an older chassis, then spend the rest of its life searching for and spending more money on its parts.

as soon as i have the cash to blow on something that i know i wouldn't be able to race, it's going to be a Losi Eight. will add the L8ight parts, brushless conversion, and i'll hunt down a Kyosho Subaru body. i'd have a 1/8 rally car to beat the hell out of it whenever i want, which i could run nitro or e-powered. then if/when i get bored, or i want to go racing 1/8th scale, i can convert back to buggy, and still have the option of E or Nitro.

then of course there's the $1500+ price tag
Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

Simple solution to your problem here. GT8! GT8 is a buggy based on road and has tons of kits out there ready for you to check out. I personally race the GT8 class and there are Chicago racers that actively race all over the country. The kits range in price and some are more off road able than others. For instance my Kyosho turned into a rally car after I upgraded to the Team C chassis. Much like you I was torn between on and off road. My LHS just happens to be ran by Gus Wood one of the pioneers of GT8 racing. He set me up with everything I needed and away I went. After a season of racing on road the dirt doesn’t look to appealing to me anymore. I raced local tracks every week and made it out to a national ranked event that was amazing. I would encourage you to take a good look at the GT8 class. If you get into it you can do everything you have listed and so much more. For example I have a Serpent Cobra GT for on road and I use my other chassis for Rally. You can even get Subaru bodies if you want. Enough of my rant, if you are interested in high speed addicting racing let me know and I can help you pick out what suits your budget and interest the best.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is another option
http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/6232-K10.html