Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just bought my first R/C(ECX Torment). Having trouble with battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Just bought my first R/C(ECX Torment). Having trouble with battery

I also bought a Primal fast charger. It requires me to choose how many amps to charge the battery at. I didn't really understand the way the directions tell you how to figure out how many amps to use. But its a small battery(1800Mah) so I tried 1A and 2A.

The first charge at 1A seemed ok, the charger turned green. I run it outside at low speed for about a minute and it starts not reacting properly. Steering seems to function fine, but the throttle either doesn't work or at times will move just a bit then stop. Then the car started beeping and the ECS LED was blinking. Manual seemed to indicate a dead battery. So I pop it back on the charger at 2A this time. Turned green so I popped it back in. Didn't even take it outside, Was just gonna hold up the rear end and run it at slow speed to break in the motor. It went fine for like 20 seconds, when I got antsy and decided to put it on the carpet and just run it back and forth a little, when it started being unresponsive(throttle anyway, steering is still good).

I put the battery back on the standard wall charger the torment came with, Trying another 3000Mah battery on the fast charger to see what that does. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are they LiPo or NiMh batteries?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

I'm assuming it's not a Lipo batt? How long did you charge the batt.? Sometimes when you first charge the Nimh batt they only put enough charge in it to make it work and it takes a few hours for it to be at full charge;recheck your settings and wait for a full charge. Best of luck-
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A friend of mine has the Stadium Truck version, the same charger and a 1800 Nimh battery. He too had a lot of issues similar to yours. I loaned him a small Lipo battery and his truck suddenly came alive! It ran well, was noticably faster and had really good run times. I wouldn't buy any more Nimh batteries...you can get some decent Lipos for the same amount of money. Your charger will charge the Lipo just fine and you'll be a lot happier in the end. Peak makes a pretty good, inexpensive battery. I have a 3300, 45C that was around $30 that I keep on my bench for testing electronics.

"C" is simply the mah divided by the (charge rate*1000)...or in your case, 1,800/(1*1000) or 1.8 amps.

Years ago when we were running Nicd and Nimh batteries, there were some pretty awesome cells to be found. Today, it doesn't seem like they make a good Nimh battery pack. Trust me...get a Lipo. You won't regret it!