07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VB, VA
Originally Posted by TakeAim
I have a Losi 2wd SCT with a Tekin RS ESC and also a TEN-SCTE 4x4 with a Tekin RX-8 ESC. For various reasons, I have to change out the two Tekin motors. One racer suggested using the top of the line Reedy motors, such as the Sonic 550 4.5 turn in the 4x4.
My questions are:
1. Is Reedy equivalent to Tekin?
2. Manufacturer support?
3. Would a Reedy work properly with a Tekin ESC?
4. Will my Tekin Hot Wire work properly with the Reedy?
5. Does it hurt possible sale with mixed motor and ESC?
I don't remember the Tekin ESC "asking" what type of motor it's running or does it even care. What's your opinion?
1. As far as performance, Reedy is equal to Tekin. Both are good motors and companies.
2. You shouldnt have any problems with tech support.
3. Any motor will work fine with a Tekin ESC. Sensored or sensorless. Just make sure you set up the ESC as such.
4. No. Hotwire is for Tekin products only.
5. I would not see any resale problems just cuase it has a Tekin ESC and Reedy motor. Worst case sonerio, you sell them seperate.
As far as the speedo asking, when you are linked with the Hotwire, you can choose between sensored, sensorless or dual mode. Turbo only works in dual mode but I may be wrong.
And for the 4x4 SC, I would get the 5.5. I ran both a 4.5 and 5.5 and didnt notice any performance gain in the 4.5. But I gained about 1.5-2 minutes of run time in the 5.5. Same track, setup, and speedo settings all on the same day.
Serpent Cobra-TE RCR Nova P5 / Serpent SRX8 Werks B7ProKE
AE SC10.2/////AE B5M CE/////AKA/////Serpent America/////Desoto Racing
Spektrum Radios and Servos, Tekin Speedo's and Motors, SMC Batteries
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC