What class do you prefer to run....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What class do you prefer to run....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default What class do you prefer to run....

2wd stock buggy or 2wd mod buggy? Why? (on a budget)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trying to figure out what motor i should buy and for what class.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

That depends on your skill level.
If you are fast and dont spend much time on your lid, then mod would be the way to go.
If that doesnt apply to you, I think you wil have more fun in stock
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kaan
That depends on your skill level.
If you are fast and dont spend much time on your lid, then mod would be the way to go.
If that doesnt apply to you, I think you wil have more fun in stock
i would say im an good driver and still learning...so saying that what would you think and what kind of motor?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SC Racer
i would say im an good driver and still learning...so saying that what would you think and what kind of motor?
What is the limit on the stock class where you are racing?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

What is the limit on the stock class where you are racing?
its all based on the roar rules which means its going to be 17.5t motor and on blinky mode.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SC Racer
its all based on the roar rules which means its going to be 17.5t motor and on blinky mode.
That is not going to be very fast, but lots of pople here seem to enjoy it very much.
My advise is that you go to the track on raceday and see it in action, also talk with hte people there and hear what they think.

I would still be leaning on stock, but if you find it too slow, then go for mod.
Remember the important part is having fun

As for motor brands ... well one of our local guys won the mod series one year on a 25$ motor, so I dont know really. Personally I like the Speed Passion motors
Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

That is not going to be very fast, but lots of pople here seem to enjoy it very much.
My advise is that you go to the track on raceday and see it in action, also talk with hte people there and hear what they think.

I would still be leaning on stock, but if you find it too slow, then go for mod.
Remember the important part is having fun

As for motor brands ... well one of our local guys won the mod series one year on a 25$ motor, so I dont know really. Personally I like the Speed Passion motors
will do, thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

I vote for whichever class has the most entries at the tracks you race at. Regardless of speed it's more fun to have battles, learn traffiic, run clean in it, etc, than run alone IMO. Unless you can easily dominate the stock class, then by all means move up to mod if there is a decent turnout.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

there are plenty of tracks where the lap times of stock is close to mod. "Faster" doesn't always mean lower lap times. So... if your'e racing, stock is a great place to learn to drive "fast" with a slow car. You will learn a lot about the "fast" line and how important it is to drive error free. You can also drive at 100% with far less chance of making an error, with mod you need to tone it down and may struggle to drive comfortably at 90%. Plenty of reasons to love stock, usually a little tighter racing and with a field of clean drivers make a great race. You will also need to be a better mechanic and tuner with stock.
You didn't mention what ESc you are running, there are some combinations of esc/motor that don't work well together so think about that. I'm a big Orion fan but you might check out what the locals run, it will help getting information from others on tuning and gearing. stock rocks.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave H
I vote for whichever class has the most entries at the tracks you race at. Regardless of speed it's more fun to have battles, learn traffiic, run clean in it, etc, than run alone IMO. Unless you can easily dominate the stock class, then by all means move up to mod if there is a decent turnout.
they both getting good turnouts.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asc6000
there are plenty of tracks where the lap times of stock is close to mod. "Faster" doesn't always mean lower lap times. So... if your'e racing, stock is a great place to learn to drive "fast" with a slow car. You will learn a lot about the "fast" line and how important it is to drive error free. You can also drive at 100% with far less chance of making an error, with mod you need to tone it down and may struggle to drive comfortably at 90%. Plenty of reasons to love stock, usually a little tighter racing and with a field of clean drivers make a great race. You will also need to be a better mechanic and tuner with stock.
You didn't mention what ESc you are running, there are some combinations of esc/motor that don't work well together so think about that. I'm a big Orion fan but you might check out what the locals run, it will help getting information from others on tuning and gearing. stock rocks.
im looking to go to stock because from looking around for motors and esc combos it looks like they are a little cheaper then going mod, remember im on a budget, im not trying to buy something worth 300 something bucks.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

To add to asc6000's already excellent post on the matter, some more things to consider are....

Tires that last a couple months in stock may only get 6-8 good runs in mod before they fade off. Diffs get eaten at a rate so fast it becomes more expedient to just carry two built ones and stuff you may never replace in stock like outdrives and bearings become regular maintenance items. That's before you realize that you have to clear that giant triple to be competitive in mod whereas it's an easy double-single in stock but each time you miss in mod, it's a $10-15 trip to the parts counter.

And all that was to go .3-.4 of a lap quicker on a 16 second lap where the racing generally involved passing off another drivers' mistake rather than after a hard battle and clean move in stock. I ran a quite bit of stock and mod buggy last winter and if you're on a budget, you want to run stock.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MarkA
To add to asc6000's already excellent post on the matter, some more things to consider are....

Tires that last a couple months in stock may only get 6-8 good runs in mod before they fade off. Diffs get eaten at a rate so fast it becomes more expedient to just carry two built ones and stuff you may never replace in stock like outdrives and bearings become regular maintenance items. That's before you realize that you have to clear that giant triple to be competitive in mod whereas it's an easy double-single in stock but each time you miss in mod, it's a $10-15 trip to the parts counter.

And all that was to go .3-.4 of a lap quicker on a 16 second lap where the racing generally involved passing off another drivers' mistake rather than after a hard battle and clean move in stock. I ran a quite bit of stock and mod buggy last winter and if you're on a budget, you want to run stock.
i hear you there, i am on a budget. thank you for the help. i will take it in consideration.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Stock vs mod 1/10 buggy 2wd

At our local track in Sarasota, 2wd buggy stock 1/10 is the biggest class. 2wd mod is small and has competitive racers. With a stock 17.5 turn motor, you run stock. But there is no law against running that same car in mod, sportsman, or whatever they want to call the classes. This may put you at a disadvantage, but suppose the mod guys aren't that good. That gives you two or more classes to run.
TakeAim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.