R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 07-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default any upgrade without going to brushless?

Hi there everyone.I just got my new Hsp 1/10 brushed version and I'm quite disappointed because i never expect it to be that slow because I thought the bigger scale the faster it gets. I can almost tell that my stock 1/18 is much faster than this. Its working completely good, battery is fully charged, gear mesh checked, etc.

So here is my question. Is there any upgrade i can do to increase the speed of my rc without going to expensive brushless combo? I'm looking at upgrading it with a stronger brushed 540 motor but exactly what motor? Can i use the Tamiya Super Stock series 23T even without changing the stock esc?

I really want to upgrade my rc right away but I think it will be safe to ask questions first. An ounce of prevention is better than a pounds of cure.
xtian3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There's lots you can do to bump up power, and speed. First, and cheapest would be to purchase a larger pinion gear, and/or smaller spur gears. Each tooth BIGGER than your stock pinion will provide more top-end speed, but take a bit away from acceleration. Opposite rules apply with your spur. Smaller spur tooth count will increase top end.

If you want to spend a couple bucks, get a new motor. Not sure what to suggest, as I really don't know what's out there. But maybe put up a post, and ask a few guys what they'd recommend? Be sure to mention what you're using the truck for (racing/bashing/etc...) and what your desired outcome is. Do you want it fast? If so, how fast?
Tamiya M05 "Monster Mini"
Dadic 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Tech Adept

about 40kph maybe? thanks. that helps a lot. anyone else? on motors?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

also try new battery's the higher the mah the faster it will go and the longer it will run IE a 3000mah nicd will last almost double than a 1500mah and will also run faster. a lipo is way faster than a basic Ni-cd or nimh battery. but with lipo you need a lipo specific charger. hope this helps out also
freaksofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksofnature View Post
also try new battery's the higher the mah the faster it will go and the longer it will run IE a 3000mah nicd will last almost double than a 1500mah and will also run faster. a lipo is way faster than a basic Ni-cd or nimh battery. but with lipo you need a lipo specific charger. hope this helps out also
that also helps. i personally dislike lipos because its very expensive especially the chargers/balancers. thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian3188 View Post
that also helps. i personally dislike lipos because its very expensive especially the chargers/balancers. thanks
they arent as expensive as you think. here is a basic lipo/life/nicd/nimh charger on hobbyking for 17.99
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
and a turnigy nano tech 2s 5600mah lipo for 34.78
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html so for under 60 bucks usd you can get a charger and lipo
freaksofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Goodesta

man if you could get a brushless sytem, get it. you dont need no lrp sxx v2 with a novak 5.5 motor. try getting somthing less expensive. buy the best your can afford. the lower the turn the faster the motor.

without the brushless sytem, i suggest play with gearing

increase the size of the pinon and make the spur smaller. this makes a huge difference. also go to hobbypartz.com and get a lipo. a 5000mah 40c is only $28. run time and power will be unbelievable.

The technology is out there bro, do NOT hold back from it

this hobby is NOT and i repeat NOT cheap you could ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you the same thing.
Team Associated B64
Goodesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodesta View Post
man if you could get a brushless sytem, get it. you dont need no lrp sxx v2 with a novak 5.5 motor. try getting somthing less expensive. buy the best your can afford. the lower the turn the faster the motor.

without the brushless sytem, i suggest play with gearing

increase the size of the pinon and make the spur smaller. this makes a huge difference. also go to hobbypartz.com and get a lipo. a 5000mah 40c is only $28. run time and power will be unbelievable.

The technology is out there bro, do NOT hold back from it

this hobby is NOT and i repeat NOT cheap you could ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you the same thing.
Nicely said bro!!. Thanks. I think I'll try gearing first, then battery, then motor.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksofnature View Post
... battery's the higher the mah the faster it will go
100% untrue. Voltage drop-off will be slightly less with a higher MAH battery, but it in and of itself, will not make the car go any faster.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote