R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   what tool set (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/643844-what-tool-set.html)

BigBallin 07-07-2012 12:36 PM

what tool set

what is a good set of tools? i have a 22t so i would need all metric at the moment. dont really need tools like hudy becasue they are super expensive

asc6000 07-07-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigBallin (Post 10947086)
what is a good set of tools? i have a 22t so i would need all metric at the moment. dont really need tools like hudy becasue they are super expensive

I would recomend the cheapo dynamite set of hexes and nutdrivers, I found the rubber handles and the shape felt better to me than the aluminum ones (and lighter too) the dynocheaps also have a cap on the handle end that rotates so you can palm the end and spin the driver with your fingers. Back it up with an MIP 2mm hex which is the most used size, it will be more precise and last forever, mines 20 years old. There will be a few special tools but that would cover a lot of wrenching.

BigBallin 07-07-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by asc6000 (Post 10947685)
I would recomend the cheapo dynamite set of hexes and nutdrivers, I found the rubber handles and the shape felt better to me than the aluminum ones (and lighter too) the dynocheaps also have a cap on the handle end that rotates so you can palm the end and spin the driver with your fingers. Back it up with an MIP 2mm hex which is the most used size, it will be more precise and last forever, mines 20 years old. There will be a few special tools but that would cover a lot of wrenching.

Thanks

So*Cal AFDude 07-08-2012 11:55 AM

Check out VP Pro tools. They wont round out on you like a lot of cheaper tools. The price is good too. See them at Hobby Pro USA.

lstmysock11 07-08-2012 03:05 PM

Dynamite tools will round off hex's, trust me you wont be happy. Better off spending more money, at the very least get Integy. Personaly I got two hex drivers by Hudy for my most common hex sizes and the same with the drivers and the rest I use my Integgy.

racer1812 07-08-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by lstmysock11 (Post 10950372)
Dynamite tools will round off hex's, trust me you wont be happy. Better off spending more money, at the very least get Integy. Personaly I got two hex drivers by Hudy for my most common hex sizes and the same with the drivers and the rest I use my Integgy.

We can fight about this subject all day, my Dynamites are 4 years old and still have a good edge on them. I have some Integy ones too and they are honestly a little oversize. Some I can't get into the screw head. The ones that do fit hold up and last but when new are a tight fit and honestly are too big to fit in a "new" screw head.

I'm lucky to have a couple wrenches of each size so I have options in my box.

justpoet 07-09-2012 11:17 AM

I've been very happy with the Losi multi-hex tool that has all the common sizes in it as changeable bits. A bonus with this is that many electric screwdrivers will also use these same bits just fine. Associated has an almost identical tool, but the Losi one locks the bits in a little better IMO.

For extremely long lasting, go MIP.

As an aside to help all tools of this sort last longer, get a couple picks (like dental picks) for a couple bucks and use those to get any dirt/mud out of screw heads before you try to put a tool in. This will reduce the wear on both the tool and the screw by a lot.

LanceBuku 07-13-2012 09:39 PM

I have two sets of the Turnigy long shafts in SAE and Metric. Less than $24.00 shipped for 8 wrenches and so far they are very nice. Very tight fit in the screw.

Also have the DuraTrax sets that look like the Dynamite brand wrench. I've had them a long time and they have worked well. The rubberized handles have torn but the tips are still OK.