R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
The easiest way I found to clean them is by using a skaker bottle. The bottle that has a small metal screen inside (I think it will work with just a small container but you'll need to fish out the bearings). Drop the bearings without removing any covers into the bottle. Spray motor spray into the bottle to fill about 3/4 inch from bottom (too much spray and it won't agitate as well and you'll get tired without much progress). Cap and shake for 30 seconds. Remove cap pull out the screen and dump bearings on towel. Dry and oil them. It really has worked well for me, even with bearings that are gritty. I've tried bearing blasters, ultrasonic cleaners, and even boiling them. The shaker is the quickest and best cleaning method to me thus far!
+1

Bearing sheilds are like one way valves for grit and no matter what you do, the grit gets in. Grease is a good catcher of grit, don't judge a bearing on free spin it's what happens when they are under load and dealig with friction. With good grease, it should thin with heat and bearings will spin freely.

The shaker is the best immediate solution, as any grit that is removed doesnt contaminate the solvent and you get a good job.

Nothing beats removing the shields, cleaning wit solvent and then adding your choice of bearing oil, I use BONES skateboard oil, works a treat. Many leave their shields off and regularly clean them, not a bad idea, but as many have suggested, you can replace them, it's affordable these days,

Havent personally experienced the quality of $1 bearings so I can't comment on quality. I wouldnt want cheap transmission and drive shaft bearings, nothing worse than a rattly car.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

ive also used 1 of those ultrasonic jewelry cleaners to clean mine i put a few spacers under the basket to keep the bearings from sitting in the crud an it works exclent. but the wife dosnt know that im using hers
freaksofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #18

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Havent personally experienced the quality of $1 bearings so I can't comment on quality. I wouldnt want cheap transmission and drive shaft bearings, nothing worse than a rattly car.
I can only speak for Avid's $1 bearings as they are all I've used in the one buck range but they have been way, way better than Losi's OEM bearings and at least slightly better than AE's OEM ones in my experience in terms of wear, grit-less feeling after use, etc. I typically cringe at overly glowing product endorsements on here but Avid has been a game-changer in the field of RC bearings.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
I can only speak for Avid's $1 bearings as they are all I've used in the one buck range but they have been way, way better than Losi's OEM bearings and at least slightly better than AE's OEM ones in my experience in terms of wear, grit-less feeling after use, etc. I typically cringe at overly glowing product endorsements on here but Avid has been a game-changer in the field of RC bearings.
I actually like the proteck bearings one step better than the avids. $1 each as well.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote